Client Support
cancel

What issues users may run into if Offline Records is configured to a network drive?

Highlighted
catalonia
Respected Contributor.

What issues users may run into if Offline Records is configured to a network drive?

Hi guys,

HPRM 8.1.1.7898

I have a couple of clients who are having issues with Checking Out, Checking In and Viewing documents. The common them between these clients is that they are using the Offline Records on a network share or file share. So i thought i would like to have a better understanding on what issues may occour for clients using a network share or file share.

Please help me to clarify.

Thank you in advanced.

4 REPLIES
Greg Fraser_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: What issues users may run into if Offline Records is configured to a network drive?

It would depend on what the issues are, can they check out and check in at all?

It is preferred that offline records is located on local drive, as that was the intent when it was deigned. A copy of the record to be worked on potentially offline from the network.

Having said that there is no reason why the network drive shouldn't function normally.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
catalonia
Respected Contributor.

Re: What issues users may run into if Offline Records is configured to a network drive?

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the feedback.

So you are saying that Offline Records being set to File Share would not be causing these issue?

Greg Fraser_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

I'm not sure, what is the issue?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
catalonia
Respected Contributor.

Hi guys,

I found this:

"

Note:

By design, HP TRIM Offline Records is intended for deployments where the Offline Records folder is located on the Windows client computer, in the user's profile folders. Although it is possible to modify this configuration to locate Offline Records in a different location such as a network drive, such a configuration may have a negative impact on performance and reliability of the check-in/check-out function of Offline Records due to environmental network and/or network file system issues and limitations, e.g. file name length restrictions on some Novell file server operating systems, that are beyond the control of HP TRIM. For this reason, HP recommends not changing the default location of Offline Records."

I think that it would help me to clarify the issue.

Anw, Thanks.