cancel

What is causing these errors in Trim 7.1?

Highlighted
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

What is causing these errors in Trim 7.1?

Brand new Trim 7.1 dataset that has been up about a week. Only I connected to it and one other person. No records in it. It's running in a Hyper-V VM and today I deleted an old Hyper-V snapshot I had been keeping around that I did of the VM before I installed Trim in case anything went wrong. So I did that and then shut down the VM for everything to clean up. Everything went ok.

But then I got email notifications when the machine rebooted.

HP TRIM Workgroup Server running on machine.domainname reported the following message: Error : 60 User: MACHINE - An error occurred attempting to obtain the schema version number for database OURDB, details:Cannot open database "OURSQLDB" requested by the login. The login failed.. This E-mail Message has been automatically generated by HP TRIM (machine.domainname).

HP TRIM Workgroup Server running on machine.domainname reported the following message: Error : 60 User: MACHINE - Could not access database OURDB, this database will not be supported. Details: The schema of this database (0) is not supported by this HP TRIM Workgroup Server. You will need to upgrade your database scheme in order to access it.. This E-mail Message has been automatically generated by HP TRIM (machine.domainname).

I try to connect to Trim and I can't. I can connect to the database just fine. I looked in the logs and I get the same errors. WTF went wrong? I can see in the logs that it does this query. "SELECT value FROM TSTWRSYS WHERE code = 'DBVERSION'" I can perform that query and it works but is Trim for some reason having a problem doing that?

8 REPLIES
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

Re: What is causing these errors in Trim 7.1?

And now even after 2 reboots still failing I decide to enable logging in Enterprise Studio. I save and then deploy even though we only have one Workgroup Server. Now I can connect. What went on?

Now after a reboot again can't connect.

Looks like what fixes it every time is me going into Enterprise Studio and hitting the Deploy button.  That makes it work. Restarting the Trim Workgroup Service doesn't break it. But rebooting does.

Running on a Windows 2008 R2 machine with SQL Server 2008 R2 Workgroup Edition installed on same box as Trim.

Richard Kelly_7
Outstanding Contributor.

Looks to me like the SQL database has not completed initialisation before the TRIM workgroup service attempts to connect.  Next time it happens try stopping and re-starting the workgroup service and seeing if that fixes it.   If it does, you need something to stop the WGS running until SQL is up - I wrote a little service to do that and have not had any problems since.

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

The problem isn't fixed by restarting the Trim Workgroup Service. Only fixed by selecting Deploy. I'll verify again.

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

I know that deleting previous snapshots in VMWare/ESX do not cause a problem on the environments I have tested, but I have not used HyperV very much.

I wouldn't be surprised if deleting the previous HyperV snapshot has completely messed with the machine.

Is everything else working correctly still?

Have you tried a full reinstall of TRIM?

If your database and store etc are all on the machine, then a reinstall will be quick and easy.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

Gotta be something weird or why does a reboot break it and a deploy fix it? What does a deploy actually do if you have only one workgroup server? What does it do as opposed to saving the configuration?

I think possibly ever since I had installed Trim 7.1 I hadn't rebooted the machine until I shut it down after I removed the snapshot. So the snapshot may have nothing to do with it.

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

A deploy saves the config, sends it to the registered workgroup servers and then they perform an in-process restart. (Just like stopping/starting the service, but the service is running the whole time)

In theory, you should get the same result by opening the TES, Save the config, then restart the service.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Ryan Winston
Outstanding Contributor.

I have also seen this when the TRIM Service account and/or the account running TES does not have explicit permissions on the SQL Server DB in the security area.  Many times updating the SQL permissions solves this problem.

samd_1
Honored Contributor.

"Looks to me like the SQL database has not completed initialisation before the TRIM workgroup service attempts to connect.  Next time it happens try stopping and re-starting the workgroup service and seeing if that fixes it.   If it does, you need something to stop the WGS running until SQL is up - I wrote a little service to do that and have not had any problems since."

I tried stopping and starting the Trim service today and that fixes it. Therefore I probably have to do something like you do. Maybe a delay of sorts for Trim to start or make it dependent on SQL server.

Maybe using the method in this Microsoft article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888