The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UNknown Location in Trim 6.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Marc218
Regular Collector

UNknown Location in Trim 6.2

Currently the  Trim setup in my organisation has many Locations (Authors)  that are set to Unknown .. From what I can gather it seems as if when somone registers an email from Outlook to Trim when they do not select a vaild Author it creates an new Location ( author) that is Unknown based on what appears the the To field of the email

The Unknown  location has  little icon of the person with a ? over it ) ..... 

I know my explanation sounds a little confusing but to me  I would rather users are forced to pick a valid author ( or a least follow a form to create one ) rather than Trim Automatically creating an unknown author as it creates duplicates and the unknowns have to either be deleted or configured properly ...Any idea's or is this the way it is meant to work ??

6 REPLIES
Jason Boswell
HPE Expert

Re: UNknown Location in Trim 6.2

Yes this is a known issue. The issue is caused by the Outlook Addin looking for an email address in the Exchange type format and your locations are defined in SMTP (internet) format.

To resolve you can delete the "unknown" location and copy Exchange email to your original location so your location will have 2 email addresses (same email in the 2 formats).

If any users then catalogue an email with this author again it will reference the original location and not create a new "unknown" location.

Marc218
Regular Collector

Thanks For your Reply ...

I have been able to reconfigure Internal Locations ( Internal Trim Users) to use the "Microsoft Exchange Outlook"  Email Type  add populate the fields in that email ( basically add in the FQDN for the user ) and this has meant that when regsitering emails from internal user Trim  finds their name fine ( as you have described in your answer ) ...

I suppose what I would also like to know is there a way you can stop Trim from accepting unknown Locations ( authors) when registering emails and if YES is this something that would make  process sense (i.e. do you really want the system to accept unknown users ?? )

thanks

Marc

Neil Summers
HPE Expert
Solution

Re: Unknown Location in Trim 6.2

Hi Marc,

Your question has been asked many times over the years.

The e-mail plugins for TRIM are designed to make cataloguing e-mails as simple and unobtrusive as possible for end users, based on the knowledge that it's the only way to encourage non-records management users to catalogue messages at all. If HP were to change it so that a user had to select an existing author or create a new one whilst cataloguing an e-mail, most users wouldn't bother and they'd use their e-mail system as their own personal repository. I liken it to asking users to catalogue each and every Word document they create, then presenting them with a record entry form full of mandatory fields.

I believe there are organisations who've contracted one of HP's technical implementation partners to develop a custom e-mail addin specifically for their purposes. That may be an option for consideration.

Beyond that you could log an enhancement request for consideration via SSO, detailing exactly how you'd like the e-mail cataloguing process to behave, how it should look to end users etc.

Neil

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Marc218
Regular Collector

Re: Unknown Location in Trim 6.2

Thnaks for you Reply Neil ... I will just have to get my Trim admin people to sort through the unknowns !!!

Robert_4
Occasional Contributor

A CRID has been created and HP discussing this enhancement for TRIM 7.1 (possibly).  The CRID number is

37979.  This is meant to stop unknown locations from Emails.

Marc218
Regular Collector

Thanks for the reply

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event