The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeout when trying to Save Global Settings

Highlighted
MDBA_RM
Acclaimed Contributor

Timeout when trying to Save Global Settings

For about 9 months, my organisation has been unable to make any changes to the Global Settings in our production environment.  The problem started in HP TRIM 7.3.1, although not immediately after we upgraded.

We were advised to modify the command timeout value from 30 seconds to 90 seconds, but that didn't fix the problem.  We had hopes that we would be able to Save Global Settings as part of our upgrade to HP Records Manager 8.0.0.6335, as setting global worked fine in our RM8.0 test environment.  But, we still can't set global in production after upgrading our production servers to match the RM8.0 client.

The error message says, 'A request to the HP Records Manager Server...failed:

Function request (Execute Transaction) for HP Records Manager Workgroup Server...failed. [RCF: Failed to receive pingbacks from server. Expected pingback interval (ms): 15000.]'

It's very disappointing, as we told users that we would be pushing out new Global Settings as part of our upgrade this weekend.  Instead, users will get the toolbar and shortcuts which come out of the box for RM8 and we have no way to customise them on an organisation level.

The fact that Global Settings works in test makes me think it's not an inherent problem with the software, but something is configured badly in our production environment.  We would be grateful for any ideas on how to fix this problem.

3 REPLIES
Greg Fraser_1

Re: Timeout when trying to Save Global Settings

Hi,

When do you receive that error message? 

Also, can you confirm the steps you are following to set the global settings.

This is what should happen:

Open the client you wish to setup (either full client or the desktop client)

Make the changes to the settings (as a RM admin)

Close RM, then reopen (this commits the changes to the registry.

Save global settings.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
BARRINGTON GREE
Collector

Re: Global Settings

Just a further query on Global Settings - our global settings in 7.22 (3697) has no issue with saving and altering global settings - but when we have initial users start using Trim for the first time, they have to do a 'get global' manually 3 or 4 times to get all the settings down - some settings are deployed, but not all at the same time - should this be happening when our enterprise setup dictates 'auto get global on startup'?

Neil Summers

Re: Timeout when trying to Save Global Settings

MDBA_RM wrote:

"... we still can't set global in production after upgrading our production servers to match the RM8.0 client..."

"...The fact that Global Settings works in test makes me think it's not an inherent problem with the software, but something is configured badly in our production environment.  We would be grateful for any ideas on how to fix this problem..."

Yes obviously something not set up or performing properly in Production. Considering you said they've only just upgraded the server installation to RM8.0, the first thing I'd check is if they upgraded the database schema to the RM8.0 schema yet. If not, do that first before trying to set new global settings.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event