cancel

Text to Voice Software that works with TRIM

Highlighted
Mark de Berg
Honored Contributor.

Text to Voice Software that works with TRIM

Bit of an unusual question. Is anyone using “text to voice” software that works with TRIM? We have a requirement for a visually impaired staff member to provide a recommendation for text to voice software that will work with TRIM.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

5 REPLIES
Philip Harney
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Text to Voice Software that works with TRIM

Hello Mark,  Been some time since i looked into this and maybe best to log a call with HP as they do test against a set of products but when I was in the UK I tested Dragon Naturally Speaking, it worked as expected but in general i found them all quite painful to use.

Cheers

Phil

T_Seiver
Valued Contributor.

Hi Mark

We have a team member with sight impairment. He uses Jaws - which for the most part works with Trim.

Apparently the only thing that doesn't work so well is the qwik select icons.

Terry

Mark de Berg
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Phil and Terry for your replies. Jaws was one of the suggested products by OHS so will give that a go.

Cheers,

Mark

David Lant
Respected Contributor.

Hi Mark,

I am a visually impaired developer and I am currently using JAWS 12 with TRIM 6.2.4.  I haven't yet had a chance to try it out on 7.1.  I also haven't yet tried JAWS 13 with any flavour of TRIM.

The ohnly things I have had to do in order to make JAWS work well with TRIM are:

1. Set the highlight colours in JAWS, so that it will track screen highlights.  TRIM doesn't appear to use Windows standards for drawing focus, so using highlight colours can sometimes help.  Also try turning off the Draw menus and toolbars using a skin, in View>Toolbars>Customize menu in the Options tab.  Depending on video cards, this may or may not improve matters.

2. Turn on MSAA support in the TRIM menus.  You can do this from the View>Toolbars>Customize menu, in the Options tab.

3. Read the online help about keyboard shortcuts.  This will provide access to features such as the quick select options without recourse to the yellow icons etc.  E.g. pressing alt+up arrow will open the quick select, while alt+down arrow will open the history selection.

Hope this helps.

Mark de Berg
Honored Contributor.

Thanks David,

The keyboard shortcut for the KwikSelect is a great addition to the shortcuts.  However, I did note that this wasn't listed under the TRIM Keyboard shortcut list and when you assign the same key combination to another function it does not come up with a conflict.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mark