The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM Client Configuration Automation

Highlighted
John Potts
Regular Collector

TRIM Client Configuration Automation

Can the configuration of the TRIM client be automated via the SDK or otherwise? This would be very usefull for new users as well as those who have their network profile rebuilt and in cases where the client just seems to "forget" settings like Default Dataset". I believe most of the settings are stored in the Users hive of the registry but we do not have access to run Regedit to import or export the keys. That would have been much too easy :smileyhappy:

Thanks, JHP

19 REPLIES
EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Re: TRIM Client Configuration Automation

JHP,

Personally I prefer to create my own application with Visual Studio to do the configuration and use the Windows Active Setup features to ensure things get set when a user log's onto a machine the first time.  However, what you're after is achieved natively with the TRIMAutoDeploy feature.

From the TRIM Installation manual:

AutoDeploy changes to the current user

 AutoDeploy sets HP TRIMAppData, HP TRIMLocalAppData paths if they were

configured in the rollout parameters.

If they were not, the registry will have blank values for these keys and HP TRIM will use

the defaults.

 If the current user has not executed HP TRIM previously, AutoDeploy configures the

ODMA settings

 It sets the spelling checker defaults and the location of user spelling checker dictionaries

 If no default database is set for the current user, it copies the computer default

 If Microsoft Outlook mail clients are registered and the required current user settings

are not available, AutoDeploy sets them for the current user

Current user configuration

Initial software installation can mostly configure details for the computer (All Users) and for

new users on that computer - those with no existing profile.

However, due to local environment inconsistencies, configuring a computer environment for a

user with an existing profile can be quite difficult.

The HP TRIM AutoDeploy tool handles this challenge using the file TRIMAutoDeploy.exe.

It is set to run when a user logs on to a computer that has HP TRIM installed.

It checks:

 Whether this user has a configured HP TRIM environment

 Whether the environment was configured no earlier than the initial HP TRIM software

installation or last update using a Service Pack upgrade

HP TRIM AutoDeploy does this by comparing the registry key date values of:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\MSI Setup\CuDepDate

with

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\MSI Setup\Depdate

— If the first one is not equal to the second one or does not exist at all, then either this

user is not configured to run HP TRIM or their configuration may need updating.

In this case, HP TRIM AutoDeploy reads the registry to determine the original

rollout, installation or update parameters stored in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM \MSI Setup

and implements a current user configuration accordingly - under the key, HP TRIM

looks for a string value containing a server name.

It then checks whether this server has a shared directory called AutoDeploy.

Cheers,

Erik

John Potts
Regular Collector

Eric,

Thanks for the very detailed response. Unfortunately, I don't think it is quite what I am looking for. The user base that I am working with is just over a hundred (mostly novice computer uses) of the full TRIM user base of thousands. As I read your description, and other documentation, of AutoDeploy it seems to be targeted at the enterprise, basically making global defaults. This is not an option for us. The use of Group Policy to focus the scope is also not available. The configuration automation that I'm trying to implement consists of the selecting the Dataset, making several settings in the Tools > User Configuration > Options of the client and adding several items to the Favorites categories on the shortcuts toolbar. Our user process & training and support are built around the standard configuration achieved with this setup. The solution will be used to support new users and those whose network profiles are rebuilt for any reason (which happens more than  I'd like). To complicate things just a bit more, neither I nor the users have admin permissions on the workstations so Regedit is out. In reading about the SDK, it seemed that most of the functionality of the client was available. I was hoping that would include configuration methods.

Thanks, John.

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

John,

Well from what you've said, TRIMAutoDeploy is the "out of the box" solution.  When a user logs into their machine the TRIMAutoDeploy runs and checks whether they have the proper configuration in their profile.  If they don't (ie they are a new user or their profile was reset), then they get the default options from the original deployment package.  That would include the dataset specifications (workgroup server address, port, and dataset name), the default ODMA specifications, and other file settings.  If you place your toolbar and favorites changes into the global settings, and enable "get global on first run" in your deployment package, then they will receive those the first time they open TRIM.

I prefer to completely disable TRIMAutoDeploy for the sites I implement (if possible) because there are a few minor things I dislike:

• You can't have it deploy more than one dataset
  • You can't change other machine settings (like Details View as default in Windows Explorer and other registry keys)
  • You can't place other icons on the desktop (3rd party products)
  • If you ever need to change anything about the packaged TRIM product you have to work through the changes in the deployment package itself or push out the keys to the local machine portion of the hive
  • This runs everytime they log onto the machine, which is complete overkill (plus it pops up and then disappears which leaves a lot of questions about what's going on)
So what I do is this:
  • Create an installer package in Visual Studio that does the following: registers all of the datasets I require, sets all of the user options (like you mentioned you want), puts all the icons I want in the proper places, removes icons I don't like, reconfigured the windows settings, etc etc etc
  • I register the GUID from the installer package into the local machine active setup portion of the hive (this is done within the package itself)
  • Push the package out to the machines under an administrative account
The results we can achieve this way are:
  • The installer package runs first under the administrative account and sets all things for the machine that a normal user can't
  • Each time a user logs on that hasn't logged on before the installer package runs and configures everything the way I like; otherwise it doesn't run everytime (like TRIMAutoDeploy does)
  • If the user's profile gets delete or reset then it'll run again
  • If we want new settings we can push out a new installer with the same GUID but a new version stamp and it'll automatically run for all users when they next logon
This approach gives you much more control over the configuration.  But for a lot of places they are content with the normal deployment methodology (ie TRIMAutoDeploy and GetGlobal).  I find a lot about this lacking and leaves the user's experience have to deal with TRIM instead of targeting the workstation experience the way it should really work.
Does this make sense?
Cheers,
Erik

John Potts
Regular Collector

Erik,

Yes, all that you say makes sense. And, is the way *I* would really like to do it. It is just that I have NO administrative access on the network to include creating & using installer packages. The bureaucracy (and cost) required to have the network operations folks do it makes it truly out of scope. Further to what I was saying, I was hoping that the SDK would expose elements of a TRIM object model that set configuration for the client and it could be run as a vbScript in the security context of the users. It's beginning to look like the only workaround is to script a long series of "sendkeys" :smileysad:

John

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

I don't understand why you don't just save everything into the global configuration and tell them to "Get Global"?

Or email them a registry key file and have them open it.  That will load the settings into the registry.  I've never seen a site so locked-down that you can't send them registry keys.

John Potts
Regular Collector

Is not "global" actually "global"? That is, if I had the ability to save to global, would that not be the same "global" to which the thousands of enterprise potential TRIM users who are not in my group get their default settings? I think neglected to mention that a subset of my group will actually need some of the settings different.

Interesting... I've never worked a non-residential network where users had permissions to run regedit.exe or any other registry editing tool.

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Yeah, sorry... I didn't pick up on the fact that you wanted just a few users to get the settings.  :smileyindifferent:

Here's a quick test you can run:

1) Open TRIM

2) Go into the User Options (Tools->Options)

3) Click into the Mail Tab

4) Make sure "Add newly cataloged email messages to the Recent Documents tray" is unchecked

5) Close TRIM

6) Open Notepad

7) Paste the following into the text:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5\SendMail]"

"AddToRecent"=dword:00000001

8) Save this to your desktop as "addemail.reg"

9) Double-click the new file on your desktop

10) You should be asked if you want to load the keys, say yes

11) Open TRIM and see if the box from the first few steps is now checked.

Although most organizations lock down their machines, you can typically do this.  If this works you just want to create a registry file with all of your settings and just email it to the users and have them open and load it.

Let us know if this works for you! :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Erik

John Potts
Regular Collector

Eric....

I fully understand how reg files work. In this environment, the *.reg" file extension is not associated with regedit.exe (or anything else). So double-clicking on the file will launch the "Open with" window and browsing to select regedit.exe results in a "file could not be found" error. This is as designed.  Otherwise, a bad guy could convince a user to run a reg file and "own" the system. But that's getting off topic. Can you think of any method to my goal other than what you have described?

Thanks, John

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Well the only other option would be to script the writing to the registry.  You could try this inside of an Excel VB macro.  Although it sounds like this would have been disabled as well.

Here's some code you could paste into a VBscript (either inside of Excel, Word, or some other app) that does the same thing as my previous post:

Sub updateTRIMSettings()    

Dim objShell, RegLocate

Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")    

On Error Resume Next    

RegLocate = "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5\SendMail\AddToRecent"

objShell.RegWrite RegLocate, "1", "REG_DWORD"    

Set objShell = nothing

End Sub

Cheers,

Erik

John Potts
Regular Collector

Erik,

I think you're on to something!!! Slight reformatting to run as straight vbScript and it ran with no errors.

Can you give me, or say where to find, the registry key breakdown below \TRIM5\? I will need to do the same process with objShell.RegRead to see how all of these settings are stored on my client.

Thanks for staying with me on this!

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Well you're welcome!  We work for kudos on here.  :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately you are now asking for something that isn't documented anywhere.  I'll be nice and share you some of the important ones:

Under the Software\TOWER Software\TRIM5 section of the current user hive in the registry

1.  Datasets -- defines the datasets and workgroup server information
  2. DBID -- defines configuration settings for the datasets
  3. DMSOptions -- ignore links inside of files
  4. Integration -- ODMA stuff
  5. Lex -- dictionary
  6. OutlookAddin -- outlook!
  7. RecordSearching -- searching tab in the user options
  8. Reporter -- reporter settings
  9. SendMail -- email tab
  10. TRIM Context -- window placement and toolbars for the context client
  11. TRIM Desktop -- window placement and toolbars for the desktop client
  12. TRIM Desktop Select -- window place and toolbars for the selector client
  13. Viewer -- viewer settings
That should be a good start! :smileyhappy:
Cheers,
Erik

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

PS -- if you list out the settings you want I'll respond with the proper registry keys for them.

John Potts
Regular Collector

Truckloads of Kudos on the way! 

Yes you have been quite nice, but one thing would *really* put the icing on the cake...

if you could use regedit to export the TRIM5 key from your client, it would show exactly how the subkeys are listed as well as the key types. I could then do a regread of my system based on your registry paths to determine if there are any changes between the versions and determine exactly how my settings are stored.

Are you up for it?

Grundy
Honored Contributor

You should be charging for this Erik! :smileyhappy:

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
EWillsey
Honored Contributor

John,  I've attached the registry file.  I had to clean out a lot of stuff that you shouldn't see, but the bulk of the structure is there that you need.

Good luck!  There's tons of stuff in there.  Your best bet is to list out what you want your client configuration to be and we'll give you just the keys you need.  There are some keys you do not want to push out (like Version).

Cheers,

Erik

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

This stupid site won't let me attach anything.  Email me for the file.

John Potts
Regular Collector

I was wondering why I could not find a "download" link :smileyhappy:

Email is on the way.

John Potts
Regular Collector

WOW! You certainly were not kidding about it having a lot of stuff. Most of the paths contain familiar terms so I can modify to match our system and delete much of it to create the map. I don't see this happening before tomorrow night though :smileysad:

Thanks again, AWESOME support!

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

You're welcome!  Most of the stuff in there you can probably safely ignore.

Good luck! :smileytongue:

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event