The number that appears in our license count has changed. It no longer represents the licences that I have on record and have verified with HP.
I wonder if I'm missing something.
Go to Solution.
So the seats in 7.X are counted against the active locations that have a logon name entered in the location properties.
Are you seeing more seats being counted than users actively using TRIM?
If that is the case you need to make sure that locations that have logons but are no longer used are de-activated.
I thought there would be a limit tied to the license key.
Does this mean that if people aren't careful that they can accidentally go over the license limit?
The manual count I did (via spreadsheet calculations) did not equate to the Licensed Seats listed.
There is definitely a limit, you will be licenced for a certain number of seats.What I am saying is that seats might be consumed by locations that are no longer in use.
You need to make sure the network login name on the profile tab is blanked out, as this is where the count comes from, even if the location is deactivated (this is in 7.31).
We have to periodically go through our deactivated accounts and clean up the login names, otherwise our new starters don't get activated.
I was always under the assumption that to deactivate someone you had to do the following 3 things:
untick "accepting logins"remove network login
enter an Active To Date
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong
Simon is right, you should remove the login name. There have been different builds, bugs over time. I think the message has been you don't need to remove; but I've found it easiest to do so.
I generaly recommend sites do the following when removing a users access:
1) Uncheck "Internal" -- this makes them go from green to red (red=not an employee, green=employee).
2) Remove the user login name
3) Uncheck "Accepting logins"
4) Remove security caveats and level -- this ensures that if the person comes back to work at a later time, you know they haven't received the same access
5) Change the user type to "Inquiry User" -- same reason as above
Thanks for all the information and discussion. The correct process of juggling user licenses is really good to know, too.
As has already been discussed, it was confirmed by HP that the "Licensed Seats" in Setup Info are definitely tied to license keys.
It's not clear why this perceived mismatch occurred specifically, but we're looking into process rather than program based reasons.