Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM 7.3 - Windows 10

Highlighted
Rodders
Super Collector

TRIM 7.3 - Windows 10

Hi All, 

Just a quick question I am pretty sure I know the answer too, but TRIM 7.3 and Windows 10? Totally unsupported according to any documentation obviously, and 7.3 falls out of support early next year... but will it "Work".  We are looking at a total environment upgrage that is requiring us to go to Windows 10, there HAD been a desire/requirement for us to stay on TRIM 7.3 and Win7 due to a couple of key integrations that we couldn't re-write in the short term, but and even bigger showstopper has popped up now that now means we will likely have to move to Windows 10 which is obviously going to create some pains elsewhere. 

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Rod

2 REPLIES
Rich_Kid
Esteemed Contributor

Re: TRIM 7.3 - Windows 10

When an IT department updates the operating system they generally update the office applications as well, so you need to also factor that in. (are they rolling out Windows 10 with office 2016, or office 2013, and what version will Outlook be ? )

I never used 7.3 so cant give you any definite answer but I know :-

• 7.1 and 7.2 had OLE issues and wouldnt work with Windows 8
  • The addins in 7.1 and 7.2 wouldnt work with Office 2013

The only way to know what works for you is to install a typical setup it in a Test environment and do things your users will normally do. Check for drag and drop working, the office addins, the queue processor, sending attachments as tr5 or documents etc.

You havn't said what the integrations are (are the integration on the desktop client or the backend ?)

if the integrations are not with the desktop app and 7.3 with windows 10/Office 20xx whatever doesn't work for you then another unsupported configuration to consider would be to keep the backend at 7.3 but update the clients to RM 8.3 or CM 9. (its kind of supported for migrations, but not for extended use) It means an interface change for your users (which you will have to do at some stage anyway) but it allows your backend integrations to continue working. Again its something to test.

Otherwise if the integrations are with the desktop client then maybe consider telling us more about them in case someone here has a bright idea ...

Rodders
Super Collector

Re: TRIM 7.3 - Windows 10

Thanks for the response :) 

The integrations are with a host of custom apps - at both desktop and workgroup server level so it's a pretty complex and tangled web. Not only will potentially TRIM break on Windows 10, but a host of other apps we have linked to TRIM too...so even if TRIM is ok, there's a pretty real chance that either the other apps, or their integrations might break  - generating a nightmare of what's breaking what where testing.

I was basically just wondering if anyone had tried it and could definitively say "It just wont run on Windows 10" or "It runs but x, y and z don't work", if only to shortcut what would be some pretty extensive testing.

Upshot is I think we will be staying put and not doing Windows 10 - yet...

Thanks again!

Cheers

Rod

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event