cancel

TRIM 7.3.3. and Microsoft Project 2010 Pro blank page issue

Highlighted
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

TRIM 7.3.3. and Microsoft Project 2010 Pro blank page issue

Hi,

Win 7, HP TRIM 7.3.3. 5645 , MS Office 2010, MPP 2010, SQL 2008-R2

This is more of Microsoft Project issue but as the MPP document is in TRIM Database, it could be connected somehow:

A Microsoft project document was regularly updated in TRIM every month or so (35 revisions so far), and all revisions are viewable in M Project application etc. Last ones are around 4 MB in size. The latest revision (the revision that should be opened in the native application when checked-out or edited, ( 6.5 MB) displays the blank screen, like that is starting a new MPP project1.??!!!?

The number of project items / tasks in previous revision of the document is 400 or so.

HP TRIM viewer actually previewing the current version/revision of this document with 600 tasks/items. Meaning, the previewer is proving that there are additional 200 tasks or so, but Microsoft Project cannot open this document as it appears to be somehow corrupted.

Not sure what is happening here, frustrated user wants her work back. I did repair of the MPP Application, no results; blank page again.

On my desktop the previous revision is opening fine, the current one not. I tried LAUNCH from the viewer, and re-save it from the viewer, no success.

Anyone experienced the same issue or have the solution?

Thanks

10 REPLIES
Greg Fraser_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TRIM 7.3.3. and Microsoft Project 2010 Pro blank page issue

I think that you might be on the right track with guessing that the document has corrupted.

Not sure that you will be able to get that information back, the only way that I can think of would be backup. So what you would need here is a back up of the document in the store at that revision.

Where problems might arise is that the document may have never existed in the document store as a complete revision, as in it might have entered the store corrupted.

Other than that not sure what else could be done.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks.. the user will be very upset ... It is strange that TRIM Previwer can see the whole document but the LAUNCH cannot open document. SOmebody mentioned the different versions of MP ..e.g. 2007 and 2010 even 2003...

Not sure.

Thanks anyway.

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

What steps did you take to try and repair the file? I've used the steps outlined below before and it worked.

Save the file in the Microsoft Project Database format:

1. Open your problem file (it may help to turn off automatic calculation if the file is reluctant to open).
2. Select File/Save As...
3. Save as type: Project Database (*.mpd) then click Save.
4. Close the file.
5. Re-open it from the .mpd file.
6. Select File/Save As... and save it as an .mpp file again.
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

I even tried to go to the user cashe on C drive ... appdata/user/ etc. .. the cashed copy 6 MB MPP document also did not want to open. But I find out that user was copying certain data, e.g. lines from some MS Excel document there, , copying it from the viewer , not from the MS Excell application..... That probably corrupted the document.

Also, I find out that i I am looking at the current corrupted revision in TRIM via TRIM Viewer, or previweing it, and if I do right click "open with:", it say that this is a 2007 Microsoft Project version, although the user did not used any 2007 or any other template, and document is 1 year old, (We had MS Project since 2011) , document was made from the scratch.....and other 2 users did not uploaded new revisions in 2007, rather in 2010 version.

STrange, but i think that copying rows from the document opened in keyView viewer and pasting it to the MPP document caused this drama.

Once I copied some data from MS Word docx document through viewer and when pasted, some chines lletters simbols were pasted ??!!?? (Not the binari messy data, but proper chinise characters..)

Regards

PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

EWilsey,

The document is not opening at all, from anywhere, from TRIM or from desktop.... Microsoft Project instead of theat 6 MB document opens new blank new p[roject.... And I do not know how and where to turn off the automatic calcullations?

regards

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Even if it opens and looks like an empty document, those steps may still work.

Anywho, corruption happens in Project and Excel files.  Probably not anything that TRIM did.  It's a problem with those products.  If you're new to Project then it might be helpful to read-up on some of the interweb FAQ sites about managing such files.  Sounds like your users are making a lot of modifications and tasks... so get them some of the tips to prevent it from happening again.  The corruption can happen out on a network drive just as easily.

PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

True, corruption happens. However, TRIM viewer can actually preview the document, so potentialy, not everything is lost ....

Regards

P.S. Those steps did not worked...

I also used DOS commands to rename it to MPD but no success.

Greg Fraser_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Does it open if you super copy it from TRIM?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Nope,

isn't drag & drop same as supercopy?

regards

Greg Fraser_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yep, its the same.

Might be a a difficult situation, you could try going into the back ups, but there is no guarantee there.