Client Support
cancel

TRIM 7.1 failing on VPN connection: "Client side message length error"

Highlighted
John_Noble
Frequent Contributor.

TRIM 7.1 failing on VPN connection: "Client side message length error"

Hi there. Best wishes to all.

I might be a newbie here but trust me, I've spent days on this before coming here for help. Any suggestions would be most welcome. :robothappy:

Background: TRIM 6.2 upgraded to TRIM 7.1 last weekend. All's fine on the LAN, but when connected via VPN - Citrix, through a Netscaler (9.2) - I see this error:

• Connection to [dataset details] failed: Error connecting to [dataset]. Client side message length error.

Nothing else changed last weekend - we didn't change the CAG at all, nor any other network settings.

Network traces show TRIM.exe sending a TCP RESET very soon after the initial SYN/ACK handshake. My hunch is that TRIM isn't handling the altered network stack on the workstation due to the VPN. Just a hunch, though...

I've tried a bunch of stuff to isolate this issue:

• Moved a VM to our DMZ, inside the CAG but outside a key internal firewall. Works.
  • Moved a VM in to an artificially NAT'd zone to confirm it's not NAT messing up. Works.
  • Telnet to <TRIM server:TRIM port> from the VPN connection works just fine.
  • Played with the MTU values to see if large packets were at fault. Doesn't seem to be, and the network trace shows reasonably small packets anyway.

I'm properly stuck. Could anyone suggest where I might go from here? I have a deep feeling it's TRIM not getting along with my local network settings - really don't think it's happening anywhere but on the local machine - but wouldn't know what to do with TRIM now.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

j.

8 REPLIES
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TRIM 7.1 failing on VPN connection: "Client side message length error"

Check out the solution here in this thread.

http://h30501.www3.hp.com/t5/TRIM-Discussion-Information-News/Problems-using-the-32bit-7-1-client-against-a-7-1-64bit/td-p/30413

Altering the TCP ACK delay has a clear affect on our RCF connection, so this might be a solution for you.

Let us know how it goes?!

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
John_Noble
Frequent Contributor.

Hi there.

Thanks for the reply. Alas, it did not fix the issue...

Willing to try anything else, if you have any other ideas?

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Is the user getting this error when opening TRIM?

The message length error refers to the amount of data being transmitted in a single RCF transaction. (Not to be confused with packet size etc)

It is possible to change the message length size via a reg key, but you shouldn't have to, especially if the user is just logging in.

Are you able to confirm when the error appears?

Have you tried disabling firewalls on the client side?

Is there some data compression going on frlom the client side before it sends any packets through the VPN?

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
John_Noble
Frequent Contributor.

Yes, the error occurs on TRIM launch. I see the splash screen then the error appears about 2 seconds later.

I don't know what data compression is happening client-side before it goes through the VPN tunnel. I could probably find out - I have a Citrix support call open that I can use.

Other than the VPN tunnel there is no config difference between the same workstation connecting just fine on the LAN (including traversing various firewalls) and failing when coming across the internet via the VPN.

Are there any downsides to changing the message length via reg key as you mention? Can you send me the key so I can give it a crack? (If you advise against implementing it, I'll pass that on to my management - but it'd be nice to know if that was the issue.)

Ta.

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

I assume you've got a support case open with Oli at the moment?

I'll get him to send the reg keys through.

They will need to be implemented client side for the moment and a client reboot should be done.

Nothing wrong with increasing the client message length a small amount, but if you increase it too much you could blow out memory usage and cause memory exception errors.

I see this as a temporary test, not a permanent solution.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
John_Noble
Frequent Contributor.

Thanks Jonathon. I'm not dealing with HP directly, FYB are doing that on our behalf. I've just asked them for the details of any support call they have open.

John_Noble
Frequent Contributor.

Jon,

The guys from FYB are indeed in touch with Oli, so no need to spend time on this thread, too. Looks like we're on the right path. Thanks for your help so far.

I'd like to post the solution to this issue when we find it for the benefit of future generations. ;-) Any objections?

Ta,

j.

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

No objections posting solutions.

It's a unique error/situation, so not sure who else might run into this, but it's good to have archived here!

Oli will have the keys and a tech note through shortly, no promise that it will solve it, but it's worth a try. (And it really shouldn't need to be changed either, TRIM should load up without error)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au