Did you mean: 

Running a Presentation from within Trim

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
QER
Acclaimed Contributor

Running a Presentation from within Trim

We have a Powerpoint 2007 presentation stored in a Trim v6 2.4.1240 container for use by a number of people on different computers. The presentation works when opened from Trim except .....

• it contains an embedded video which plays on some computers but not on others
  • It contains two links to audio files which play on some computers and not on others.

All computers are members of a domain and run Windows XP SP3.

Signing on as an administrator does not change anything so it's not permissions. If the presentation and audio files are copied to the desktop everything works.

Does anyone have any idea why this works on some computers and not on others?

7 REPLIES
EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Re: Running a Presentation from within Trim

Is it opening up in PowerPoint for all users and workstations?  The TRIM viewer won't play videos or audio.

QER
Acclaimed Contributor

Wow, that's a quick reply!! The answer is Yes.
EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Are the audio/video files embedded within the PowerPoint or "linked" (referenced) to an external source. If linked externally then the other users may not have access to the source location (which wouldn't be in TRIM). Otherwise it should work fine because TRIM just extracts the file to the local file system and kicks it off.
TOTinQLD
Regular Collector

Just an idea... Ensure you have all the PowerPoint extension types listed in your viewer options... PPT, PPTX, PPSX... etc.,

Cheers,

Bernadette

QER
Acclaimed Contributor

I've done some further research after reading your responses and I can tell you that the video and both sounds are linked, not embedded. The sound files are in the Trim container but the link points to E:\ 'wav file name'. As I understand it, if the video and audio files are 'in the same folder' as the presentation then Powerpoint will find them and play them. But does this apply to Trim?

If Trim simply extracts the file to the local system then the video and sound files need to be embedded. So I need to speak to the creator of the presentation and get it changed. And that will then make it playable by anyone anywhere. Yes? :-)

EWillsey
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, if they are linked then it won't work.... unless you link to the web URL from TRIM (which is not always supported or wise).  Have the author embed them within the original power point.

QER
Acclaimed Contributor

Thanks very much for the help.

I have sent a proposed solution to the owner of the presentation which is basically that we either embed the files - which will increase the size of the presentation from about 20MB to 55MB - or make sure we have a copy of the audio and video files in a common location.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event