cancel

Problems TRIM reference files (tr5) in TRIM 7.1

Highlighted
Joshua Hutley
Outstanding Contributor.

Problems TRIM reference files (tr5) in TRIM 7.1

TRIM reference files tr5 don't work in some circumstaces. We are not yet sure why. See attachment for error messages.

It may relate to the folder path depth 

for example this works

G:\Document Management\TRIM Explorer Demo\TRIM User Security Profiles - By Department.tr5

but this doesnt

G:\Document Management\TRIM Explorer Demo\Test TRIM Share\TRIM User Security Profiles - By Department.tr5

However we also have found that even very short folders can exhibit this behaviour.

Have others found similiar problems?

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Rich_Kid
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Problems TRIM reference files (tr5) in TRIM 7.1

Spoiler

Not seen anything like this, so just a few ideas to see if you can get any further info to debug

Does this happen on all workstations ?? or is there anything the workstations that have the issue have in common (32 v y64 bit Trim, Windos 7, XP, applocker, appsense, antivirus (anthing that could interfere with the 'launch' process)

On a workstation with the issue associate the tr5 extension with 'Notepad 'instead of Trim, Do you get any errors when launching these from the workstation (a TR5 is just a text file)

Do you get any odd behaviour if yiou drag and drop the tr5 on to Trim

Joshua Hutley
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks

I checked and it is the same on other workstations.

In cases where the tr5 would not open with double-click, drag into TRIM did work, so we know this is nothing wrong with the tr5 file. Just some folders dont like the tr5 being launched. You will note that the errors are from HP TRIM.

I have also found that a tr5 within this path doesnt work

G:\Document Management\TRIM Explorer Demo\Test TRIM Share

but if i rename the last folder level to TESTTRIMShare it does work.

As soon as I add the spaces back the tr5 stops working again.

Still note sure

Rich_Kid
Outstanding Contributor.

I created exactly those paths

G:\Document Management\TRIM Explorer Demo\TestTRIMShare

G:\Document Management\TRIM Explorer Demo\Test TRIM Share

on my system and I was able to launch tr5 files from those folders.

I'm using 7.10.1157 (32 Bit) on Windows 7 (64 Bit)

What build of 7.1 and O/S are you on ??
Sander Hoogwerf
Outstanding Contributor.

I noticed that the Open parameter for tr5 files is just %1 instead of "%1" as it's supposed to be. No quotes around path variables always messes things up.

You could try changing

Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TRIM5.Record.Reference\Shell\Open\command

Value name: Default

Value data: C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\TRIM.exe "%1"

(it's also editable somewhere in the Windows Explorer GUI)

Possibly TRIM tries to combine the individual parameters, but when your "TRIM Explorer Demo" directory also contains other files/directories with similar names it's guesses are not good enough.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Neil Summers
Micro Focus Expert

Yes Sander that looks like the reason. I've reported it to the developers. It's hard to reproduce though - I created exactly the same paths etc in-house and couldn't get it to fail. But adding the quotes around the TRIM.exe path and %1 parameter fixed it for Joshua. Now he has to figure out the best way fo fix it for all the other users...

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/