cancel

Phrase searching in Title

Highlighted
MichaelHeming
Respected Contributor.

Phrase searching in Title

I have a question that I haven't yet been able to find an answer for.  Is TRIM 7.1 able to conduct phrase searching in the Title?  I've found bits and pieces indicating that phrase searching works in a Document Content search, but is there a way to do it in a Title Word search?

Searching using "" will just find words that have " in front or at the end...

Many thanks!

Michael

4 REPLIES
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Phrase searching in Title

Hi Michael,

There is no phrase searching support for title/notes word searches.

As you have found, this is only possible with DCI searches.  

There are open enhancement requests asking for this functionality, but it requires a big change to the indexing behaviour in TRIM and I'm not sure when R&D will be able to do this.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Melinda Catapan
Trusted Contributor.

Honored Contributor Grundy,

Does R&D have an estimate on this "enhancement" yet?  My TRIM users and I have this on our existing internal search engine, and we use it all the time.  So when it comes to TRIM, the inability to search for a phrase in a

document title feels more like a shortcoming or glitch than an enhancement yet-to-be-scheduled.  Anything you can tell me so I'll know what to tell them will be appreciated.  Thanks!

Melinda

Alby White
Regular Contributor.

I have developed a rudimentary workaround which after much testing does provide some basic phrase searching for record titles

From Tools – Options – Search, change the “Editor for use when searching”  from  Boolean search editor to String based search editor.

Perform a search using the String based search editor, placing “ in front of your search. For example “Annual Conference”.

TRIM returns records with only that phrase. Testing that against the Boolean search editor seems to work. You can save the search and switch back to Boolean search editor. As long as your search is within the parentheses, you will get an exact match for the phrase.  

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

These enhancements have been in place for several years.

I'm not aware of any plans to implement phrase searching on record titles/text any time soon as it would require a complete change to the word indexing system in TRIM.

Phrase searching is available to some extent with Document Content Searching if that is what you are trying to do.

Also as Alby suggested, the String Search tool in TRIM 7.X can be used for some phrase searching ability, but this is a bit more difficult to use for end users.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au