Client Support
cancel

Permissions to allow a user to move records between containers

Highlighted
Annabelle Wills
Super Contributor.

Permissions to allow a user to move records between containers

Hi, our end users/information workers do not seem to have the facility to move documents between folders although the record type's default record access 'update record metadata' is set to everyone.  What permission(s) should we enable for these users to allow them to update the container of a record?

Many thanks for your help.

9 REPLIES
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Permissions to allow a user to move records between containers

On the very basics, their profiles would need both "Set Container" and "Change Container".  As a default though, Information Workers have that.

This leads me to believe that something else is preventing them, most likely access controls on the container (the folder)?  (You would also have to check to make sure access controls on the document aren't preventing them from doing this too - since you didn't mention which default record access you were referring too - the folder or the document).

It could be other things too, like the container is closed; or the document is on a Hold; or if the options don't appear at all, in the Record Type properties, on the Menu tab, the Container option is de-selected; or if a Classification is assigned, then maybe the access controls for the classification is preventing it.

I'm sure there's a few more I'm missing... but this gives you some places to check.

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Users must also have the "destroy record" permission to move it into another container.

Annabelle Wills
Super Contributor.

Thank you both for your replies. We have the "set container" and "change container" enabled for our information workers but the document record type's default access control to "destroy record" is set for nominated Information managers. only.  Is there a way of enabling information workers to move records between containers without giving them the permission to destroy records?

TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hmmm, to be honest, I wasn't aware that a user needed  "Destroy"  permissions.  According to the help file, they only need to have profile permissions to:

Set Container

Change Container

Remove from Container

"Set Container - required to set a new container.

Users of user type Inquiry User must be granted the Set Container permission to change Assignee Locations If a user does not have the Set Container, Change Container or Remove from Container permissions, they will still be able to set a container during record creation

Change Container - required for a user to be able to change an existing container

Remove From Container - required for a user to be able to remove a document from its existing container without specifying a new container "

So I still suspect something else is going on....access control, etc.

Sander Hoogwerf
Outstanding Contributor.

We found that if all the record permissions are inherited from the container, you need permission to all 7 access controls. If you set the access control to a specific location for the record, then the user won't need that permission. Of cource they always need view and edit metadata permission.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

I meant destroy permission on the record access control, not the destroy record permission on the user profile.

The thinking is that if you can move a record from one container to another then you are basically potentially allowing it to be destroyed (different retention schedules).  

JanetL
Valued Contributor.

Hi, to enable our users to move documents between containers they have to be in the group which has both the 'destroy record' and 'modify record access' access controls on the particular containers. While giving users  'destroy record' access is quite daunting, as long as they don't have the 'delete record' permission they cannot delete the record.

There were a number of posts re this subject on the old forum but I have been unable to find the links to them.

regards.

JanetL

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yep, the 'Destroy' access control is completely safe to provide to any user who doesn't have any retention/delete/admin permissions.

This access control is required because when you move a document from one container to another, you are potentially changing the scheduling/retention of the document and therefore the destruction of the record.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
Annabelle Wills
Super Contributor.

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies.  We will try your suggestions on development and see how it goes.  

Thank you all for your help.