Client Support
cancel

PDF Shown as Greyed Out Rectangle in Preview Pane (TRIM 7.1 / TRIM 7.01)

Highlighted
kimonworkbox
Respected Contributor.

PDF Shown as Greyed Out Rectangle in Preview Pane (TRIM 7.1 / TRIM 7.01)

Hi,

I am wanting to show PDFs in the preview pane, however they're coming up as greyed out PDFs with crosses through them.

I saw this issue in a forum posting for a prior version of TRIM, and the solution there was to upgrade or use the Acrobat as a viewer instead of TRIM.

In this latest version of TRIM, is there a workaround that anyone knows about? Using Acrobat application as a  viewer works, however would defeat the purpose of a preview pane which is core to much functionality.

Thanks,

- kimonworkbox

5 REPLIES
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: PDF Shown as Greyed Out Rectangle in Preview Pane (TRIM 7.1 / TRIM 7.01)

The TRIM Viewer is a 3rd party module, and it may not be capable of viewing all possible variations of PDF files out there.

The only workaround for that specific PDF would be to view in the native application. (Adobe Reader)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
kimonworkbox
Respected Contributor.

PDF not Searchable & Definitive Idea of TRIM Readings

Hi Grundy,

This may also explain why some PDF file contents are searchable and others are not.

Are there specs of what PDF version TRIM will and will not interpret / view?

Whilst PDFs may be viewed as an out-of-scope/support app - hoping there's some guidance around this. In most organisations that I know of, PDFs are probably used about as much as word.

Thanks,

- kimonworkbox

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: PDF not Searchable & Definitive Idea of TRIM Readings

Agreed on the importance of PDF's!

We keep the viewer updated with each release, but the capability of the viewer is still up to the 3rd party module.

This is what we use: (Oracle Outside In Viewer)

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/content-management/ds-oit-163284.pdf

So you can check the spec more closely to see what is supported.

The TRIMSpec has a basic run-down of file formats supported by the viewer in TRIM.

In any case, I've rarely seen a PDF document that didn't display correctly at all, so there must be something very unique about it, or it may be corrupt in some way and you may want to try recreating it. ( re-scan the documents etc)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
kimonworkbox
Respected Contributor.

Remarkable Entries on PDFs

One such case is a PDF which has form entry fields (interactively entered data can be saved).

The other PDFs on face value don't seem to be particularly remarkable. I'm waiting on a follow up from Oracle based on the data sheet you linked through, so we'll see how we go with that (and also eyeing the other thread on PDF Index Failure)

Thanks,

-kimonworkbox

MandyMagin
Super Contributor.

Re: Remarkable Entries on PDFs

Hi there

I have a user who has also been having the problem with the grey rectangle with the cross through it. Nobody else seems to be having the same problem though.

It doesn't happen with all his PDF's, just some of them. There's nothing special about the PDF's that it does happen with either, I have studied them all and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. I tried saving one of the problem PDF files with a whole bunch of different settings but that didn't make any difference either. However, when I converted it to PDF/A, it all worked just fine.

I tried changing his settings so that his PDF files are viewed as an Internet Explorer Plug-In, rather than with the Associated Application. This has got rid of the grey box, but now his preview window shows the IE "couldn't open this page" screen, and then a new window pops up and displays the document. When he does right-click > View, he gets two IE windows - the "couldn't open this page" and also the document he wanted to view.

We're using TRIM 6.2.3.1137.

Does this give anyone any new ideas as to how to fix this (without converting everything to PDF/A)?

Thanks

Mandy