cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle support in 7.1...

Highlighted
samd_1

Oracle support in 7.1...

I noticed the Spec PDF for 7.1 only supports Oracle 11gR1 and R2 for 32-bit and R2 for 64-bit.  I also noticed that SQL Server 2008 R2 is supported for the first time. (good thing)

Version 7.0, including 7.01 and 7.02 (the latest build patch 1) supported Oracle 10g and 11g both 32-bit and 64-bit

Version 6.2.5 supported Oracle 9i, 10g and 11g (all releases)

I know that Oracle 9i is old at this point and 10g isn't exactly new either. But what for instance in 7.1 made 10g not supported? I mean did an install not work? Was it just deemed too old? Or just not enough QA resources were available to test every version so the latest was the only one supported? Any reason 10g won't work?

3 REPLIES
Grundy
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle support in 7.1...

samd wrote:
Or just not enough QA resources were available to test every version so the latest was the only one supported? Any reason 10g won't work?

This is probably the closest answer.

Everything that is 'supported' in the SPEC has gone through QA.

This doesn't mean that things not in the SPEC will not work, it just means they weren't tested and certified against that release.

In the case of 7.1 though, I think 11g is only supported due to some issues with the earlier Oracle releases.

There is actually a Unicode related issue in 7.1 which should have a patch soon, which is directly related to Oracle. (Going to a specific Oracle patch can fix the issue, but we should be releasing a fix on the TRIM side anyway I believe)

7.0.0-7.0.2 had some major Oracle related issues too, which is why I think support was dropped for the earlier Oracle versions for 7.1.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
TRIMGuru
Honored Contributor

And just to clarify though, while other versions of Oracle "may" work, by not being specified by HP, I don't think you can expect them to "officially" support you IF you use a different Oracle version than what was tested/certified.  Correct?

Grundy
Honored Contributor

Correct.

But the support guys are normally nice enough to help anyway. :smileywink:

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event