Offline Records not appearing in Trim 7.1 - OfflineRecords.dat

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
GSCC
Frequent Contributor.

Offline Records not appearing in Trim 7.1 - OfflineRecords.dat

Hi All,

I have a user having issues with the OfflineRecords.dat file. When the OfflineRecords.dat file is viewed through Notepad, there are no records associated with the .dat file, and no records appear under Offline in Trim; but when viewing the folder directly, the files are present.

There is no error message appearing in Trim, just says 'No records to display'.

My Offline Records work fine from the same machine under my login.

All working folder filepaths are correct, it just appears as though the .dat file is not pulling the information from the Offline folder and displaying it in Trim.

I have tried renaming the OfflineRecords.dat file, but re-opening Trim does not appear to create a new file.

Long story short: Is there a way to re-populate or refresh the information contained in the OfflineRecords.dat file?

Network Details:

Windows 7

Trim Context Version 7 Build 1.0.1132
Offline folders are stored on a network server, not on the local machine.

Thanks in advance - I hope this is an easy question and you can all roll your eyes at me! Please help!

5 REPLIES
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Offline Records not appearing in Trim 7.1 - OfflineRecords.dat

Did this user upgrade to 7.1 from a previous version while some items were checked out?

I would suggest that this user manually check-in any items, clear their offline records folders in Windows and the dat file, then re-checkout anything they want to work on.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
GSCC
Frequent Contributor.

Hi Grundy,

Thanks for the response.

There may have been one item checked out at the time of the upgrade, though I'm not sure how relevant it is. We went to Trim 7.1 back in May and this issue has only occured 2 weeks ago.

I am trying to see if any other staff had trouble around the same time.

Further to this, not all files in their Offline folder are checked-out documents. Many are working documents that they access via Trim, but have not to the point where a Record Number has been applied (so if you searched for them, they would not appear in Trim).

If I clear out their offline record folder, should I then be able to re-populate the folder via trim using 'drag and drop' straight into the Offline window in Trim?

Sounds like it's just a matter of 're-building' the dat file from scratch?

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yeah, what you're seeing can occur if the user has their localappdata path set locally, but offline records on the network and they move around to different PCs.

The offline record dat file will be different on each PC. (I think, been a while since I looked closely at it)

Did this user move PCs recently?

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
GSCC
Frequent Contributor.

Hello Grundy,

No, they hadn't moved. But that doesn't mean that they aren't logging onto other PC's for training or presentations. That was part of the reason for shifting the Offline files to the network, so they are available from any PC. But, as you mentioned, if the PC "decides" to keep the local settings then they're stuck with nothing. 

As you suggested, I ended up just clearing everything out and re-creating the network folders.

Luckily our Systems team have given me a script that resets all the working folders/filepaths in Trim based on the users login, so I was able to ensure that the local settings were overridden.

Once done, I was also able to paste the offline files (those not "in" trim) to the new folder straight from Windows. They are now back on track.

Thankyou very much for taking the time to go through this with me. Always nice to get that second opinion...especially when that second opinion knows more than I do! Lol. Much appreciated.

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Glad that got everything back on track, sorry there wasn't an easier answer!

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au