cancel

Offline Records Error in TRIM v7

Highlighted
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Offline Records Error in TRIM v7

I've run into a problem that is stumping me.  I was hoping someone else might have a solution!

We've deployed TRIM v7.0.1486 as an upgrade from TRIM v5.  On the workstation we've completely uninstalled v5 and then installed v7 (we didn't put v6R2 in first because we wanted to completely blow away the existing offline records interfaces and other settings and start fresh).

On some of the machines everything works perfectly fine.  However, on some others we're getting an error message when attempting to use the Edit Electronic Document feature.  The same error message appears if you try to do Help->Setup Information.  I've attached the error message.

I guess my question is two fold:

1) Have you seen the error?  If so, do you know of a work-around.

2) There is little documentation about how Offline Records works in TRIM7.  Before there was an access database, but now it's a dat file that contains XML.

For this implementation, on those machines with the error message, I've verified that all of the permissions on the dat file are sufficient.  I'm not sure where to look from here.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Erik

13 REPLIES
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Offline Records Error in TRIM v7

Eric, I haven't seen the error, because I haven't done that particular upgrade path, however I can't wonder if the registry on the offending machines weren't "cleaned".  Might be possible?  Maybe do a test and uninstall the trim client then use regedit on one of the offending machines to remove all entries for trim, reboot, then reinstall the trim client, see what happens.

I DO have a client that I'll be upgrading from v5 to v7, but I intend to export all their data, then re-import it directly into v7 once I manually create the record types.

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yeah there are no registry keys on the user profile that has the issue, nor any other TRIM files from the v5 install.

The only other thing to note is that these are vista machines and on a secured network (meaning a lot of things are completely locked down).  The thing that makes it really strange and frustrating is that two users with the exact same setup, prior usage of the system, and other factors (like other software) have different behavior.  Works fine for one but not the other.

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Are you installing TRIM as administrator? (Obvious question, but gotta check.)

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

good point Grundy...  always good to ask

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yes, as an admin and from an administrative command prompt.
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Just checked mine and all is well, though caveat, it's not on a network so I can't check it the way you have it.  Question for you, are they using TRIM or Desktop?

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Issue appears in both. Some use context and some use desktop.
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Is it a custom MSI or the full package?

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

I created both an administrative install point and batch file with command line parameters. Issue pops up when using either of those, and also when doing a manual install through the standard MSI (all as administrators).
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Can you go to Help, then then setup info, then working folders?  I know you said there was an error when you went to help, setup info, but didn't know if that's still there or not.  WHEN you are in offline mode?  Or you can't get there at all?

Rodney Kee
Outstanding Contributor.

Hey Erik,

If the problem you have is caused by the error mentioned, that error is a common VB error message when trying to get data from a recordset that hasn't been initialised properly. So looks like it's tried to open a table in the TopDrawer database and there are no rows there, or the table doesn't exist, or the database simply doesn't exist on the PC, and yet it tries to get a column/field from the empty recordset.

Perhaps old version 5's trimwatcher.exe wasn't removed in your TRIM 7 install (because it was still in memory - not uncommon to me), and so when TRIM 7 calls TRIMWatcher to get something from the Offline Records database, this v5 TRIMWatcher in memory couldn't find the trimtd.mdb which doesn't exist any more in TRIM 7 because it's now OfflineRecords.dat which isn't a Jet database.

Suggestion:

1) Kill TRIMWatcher.exe in the Task Manager and reboot make sure its objects aren't in memory for TRIM 7 to access.

2) See if it's in PROGRAMFILES\TRIM Context\ (or PROGRAMFILES(X86) in 64-bit OS), mouse over and see its version, and then delete it.

3) Go to PROGRAMFILES\Hewlett-Packard\HP TRIM\ (or PROGRAMFILES(X86)) and check that the right version of TRIMWatcher.exe that matches your TRIM 7 version is there.

4) Test and see if your error still appears.

Hope this helps, buddy.

Rodney "Darryl" Kee :smileyhappy:

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Seems possible Rods... Though we gave tried uninstalled, reboot, install and it still happens. Will give it a go though.
Rodney Kee
Outstanding Contributor.

Check the registry to see if TRIMWatcher is still linked to the old version's object library because registration survives a reboot if it wasn't registered properly... OR the TRIMWatcher.exe in your TRIM 7 build is faulty - looking for the wrong database/table or accessing an empty row. I'll send you some code to test on the PC you ran your installation.