Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving documents when using Based on Container security

Highlighted
Jane Hay
Regular Collector

Moving documents when using Based on Container security

Hoping someone in the community can enlighten me on how to allow end users to move documents between containers when the document record type is set to use 'based on container' access controls?

The 'container' option appears to be unavailable to end users if any of the access options on the document are set to 'based on container'. The only work around I can find is to allow the end used to 'modify record access', which is not suitable as this would allow end uses to change the security settings of the container.

I'm sure I must be missing something obvious?

I'm currently using 8.1.1 7760, but I also have 8.3.0 9088 in a dev environment and the behaviour appears to be the same in that version as well.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

5 REPLIES
Harry-Koppanyi
Frequent Visitor

Re: Moving documents when using Based on Container security

Hi, if the document move is for the sake of having a document in other container for some processing and push back or move somewhere else, you may consider Alternative Within feature to let user Alternative within the document to their container for processing and after that they can drop the alternative relationship. 

For your current practices, did you put the Container property on the Form, that user can choose to change the Container?

Cheers,
Harry
Jane Hay
Regular Collector

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the response. Yes, we put the container field on the registration form for documents, so the user can select the correct container to place the document into. The requirement for the users to move documents is when they have placed the document into the wrong container by mistake. Unfortunately attention to detail is not a strong point of all of our users and therefore misfiled documents is a semi-regular occurrance. Currrently our records staff move the documents for the users, however our department has just been halved and our user base is going to increase soon which means we no longer have the capacaity to do this on behalf of the user. Also, the users don't like asking as it means they have to admit they made a mistake (and it takes unnessary extra time out of their alreay busy day), they'd be much happier if they could rectify the mistake themselves, as would we.

Cheers

Jane

Harry-Koppanyi
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Jane for details on the issue. In your case Alternative Within is not a solution. I will try this scenario in my office to see what other options can be done. 

Cheers,
Harry
Strider_1

Hi

I suspect your issue is not caused by the 'based on container' access controls. This should not have an impact on moving records from one cotnainer to another unless the person doing the move is not part of the 'update metadata' or 'contribute contents' groups where required.

Try having a look at the Owner Location - is the person doing the move a member of the Owner Location Group for both the current and new container?

Cheers

Jane Hay
Regular Collector

If I put the user into the Owner group and also change the Modify Record Access control to 'everyone' (i.e.: everyone in the owner group) then the user can move records between containers. However, there are two issues for us if we do this:

1) Our TRIM support staff can no longer move the records as they are not in the owner group and only a couple of high level staff have 'bypass access controls' on their profile as it is not appropriate for all of the support staff to be able to see every record in TRIM.

2) ALL members of the owner group can now modify the access controls of the records. This is not appropriate as not all members of the Owner group should be allowed to modify the access controls of the records, this privilege needs to be limited to staff that have the appropriate authoritiy. (Note that all containers are created by the TRIM Support/Records team, it is this team that also apply the access controls. We don't let end users create containers or apply access controls).

What I want to do is allow end users to move documents between containers but NOT be able to change the access controls, but it doesn't look like this is possible. 

thanks

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event