Did you mean: 

Migration of files

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
TOTinQLD
Regular Collector

Migration of files

Can anyone provide me with documentation regarding 'Migration' of a large number of files from network drives into TRIM (6.2.2.8614) and advise on any specific problems to be aware of ???

(I've tried searching earlier post, but no luck.)

(I will be using the Import/Export Wizard and know the files will need to be 'mapped')

Thanks, in anticipation of your prompt responses...

9 REPLIES
Neil Summers
HPE Expert

Re: Migration of files

You'd normally use either Document Queue processing or TRIMPort. Both have comprehensive help files included. For queue processing refer to the TRIM online help - Chapter 11 - Document Queues. For TRIMPort refer to the TRIMPort online help.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
em_1
Regular Collector
Solution

Handle with extreme care is my first advice, and my second advice is test, test and test again. :smileyhappy:

Mate, what volume are we talking about here, both in terms of number of files and actual MB?

Also, I am assuming you are also bringing in the actual electronic docs and not just metadata creation?

Do you have access to run the TRIMport tool from the TRIM server itself? Or, do you have to run the tool from your pc?

How many users in your organisation? Importing will impact on the end user experience (slowness etc) if you are running large imports during office hours (not recommended by the way).

Just shooting off a few queries to get you started...

:smileyhappy:

TOTinQLD
Regular Collector

Yes, Mate, ( :womanwink: ) I will be running TRIMport tool from Server, bringing across the electronic documents with the metadata, for 300+ staff and doing all of this 'out of business hours'... will be doing the import/migration in batches (by team/group)... and I will take your advice and test it two or three times!

Thanks for your assistance,

TOT

em_1
Regular Collector

No worries, mate.

When migrating 3+ million files, it took us a period of multiple weeks, over weeknights and weekends in batches. Yes, we could have done all this through the backend and not use TRIMport.... but, TRIMport took care of all the dependencies etc for us... as long as we fed it correct and bite sized import files. :smileyhappy:

One other thing you might need to look into is ensuring that your import batches do not impact on the nightly (and others) backup / maintenance regimes for your TRIM environment. We ran our batches in the early evening, ensuring that the batches were completed around 2am'ish before the backups etc kicked in at around 3am.

Another thing to consider is event, word and content indexing.... if you are importing large volumes, the indexing will still be chugging through when staff start logging in the morning etc. Again, depending on your environment, you might want to ensure that your event server/s has chugged through all (or at the very least 90%) of the events/indexing before staff log in in the morning. This will alleviate performance hits and staff not being able to search for a record they just put in because the indexing is so far behind.

All this is just based on my own experiences and my own TRIM environment, of course. Others might have different (but equally valid) guidance for you as well...

Have fun!

TOTinQLD
Regular Collector

Hi Neil,

I've tried the suggested 'TRIMport - online help' link you sent, but continue getting a 'Service unavailable' message... any suggestions?

TOT

Neil Summers
HPE Expert

TOTinQLD wrote:

Hi Neil,

I've tried the suggested 'TRIMport - online help' link you sent, but continue getting a 'Service unavailable' message... any suggestions?

TOT

Hi TOT,

I don't really understand what you're asking. Are you saying you can't access the TRIMPort online help? What's giving you a "Service unavailable" message?

Neil

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts. At any given time, HPE are supporting approx. 30+ released versions)

TOTinQLD
Regular Collector

Neil,

I am trying to locate information on how to use TRIMport and when searching HP Online Help I either get a message saying 'Service Unavailable' or 'Page requested unavailable'... that is why my original request was for a .pdf document from anyone. 

All I can seem to find is a single paragraph describing what TRIMport is.

So, maybe in a Technical manual someone has access to there is more information on the 'how to' and 'what to look out for' when using TRIMport to Import files from a network drive into TRIM.

Cheers,

TOT

em_1
Regular Collector

I think what you will find, TOT is that there is not really a wealth of information out there regarding how to tackle the intricacies of using TRIMport other then the bare essentials found in the help guides bundled with the product. That said, if you can't even find the bare bones help guides for whatever reason, let me know and I might be able to dig around for stuff to send to you.

We essentially had to learn from scratch on how best to utilise TRIMport within our own environment - and I think that is the key... you will still need to experiment and test intensely how this product will behave in your ICT environment - no matter how detailed the help guides you get. But, I'm guessing you already know that and are prepared for it.

Another thing you might like to consider if you have not already is 'parallel importing'. One of the good things about TRIMport (and TRIM) is that it allows you to import data simultaneously through multiple TRIMport clients. This can really speed up the import process (all other factors being equal).

Again, just  rambling off some thoughts at ya...

Neil Summers
HPE Expert

Perhaps I'm missing something here...

I just started TRIMPort (in 6.2.2) then clicked Help  - Contents. I got a very comprehensive help file. Is this not what you're after?

The help file's sourced from C:\Program Files\TRIM Context\TRIMPort.CHM

Neil

Neil

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event