cancel

Make Final

SOLVED
Go to solution
InCH
Respected Contributor.

Make Final

Hi,

I've just had the question do we need to record the draft copies of Annual Reports in TRIM. It made me think, if we save all versions to TRIM then 'make final' is this the final draft and the finalised published copy is saved as a seperate record or is the 'make final' the published version? If so how do we then sentence the previous versions as 1 year without affecting the final permanent record?

I could very well be thinking too much into it and confusing myself! Any thoughts would be much appreciated! =D

10 REPLIES
Highlighted
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Make Final

When you "make final" you basically are "certifying" that the electronic document has been "signed off" and is now the OFFICIAL document.  The previous revisions of the document are just "drafts" and can show the provenance of how it led up to the final documents.

I believe there's also an option in TRIM to remove the previous revisions of the electronic document when you select "make final", but can't remember where that is right now.

InCH
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for that TRIMGuru I thought that was the case. I just wonder about the retention of the drafts as we wouldn't want to keep all that draft history permanently when it's only a 1 year retention period. I'll have a look into it. Thanks =D

InCH
Respected Contributor.

Another thought on this.... if you select Make final and remove previous revisions where exactly do the previous revisions go? I have just tested this and can't seem to find the previous one's. This is an issue seens as they are records and need to be sentenced, this is essentially Deleting a record without a retention ??

TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Depending on your retention schedules, the revisions prior to one of them being made FINAL, may NOT be an official record, thus, not needing to be retained or scheduled.  You'll have to check with your records managment staff for a determination of that.

Once you set it to remove revisions, they are indeed deleted and are not recoverable unless you do a backup restore of the database AND the document store(s).

InCH
Respected Contributor.
Solution

Thanks for that, I will check with State records. There is a seperate retention for the draft which needs to be signed off so having this function available is a concern to me.

Cheers! =D

TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Then you could and/or should make a new "version" of the document.  That makes a NEW record in TRIM, copying the latest revision into a new document.  Then you could schedule the previous record and also schedule the new record.

InCH
Respected Contributor.

Yep, but that functionality is still there for users to remove records without authority. I'll have to look into permissions/procedures to avoid this.

Thanks again.

TOTinQLD
Super Contributor.

When you select Electronic > Final you are presented with the 3 choices:

- Draft/Working Document

- Final

- Final and remove any previous Revisions. (not recommended from a retention point of view)

Alternatively, select a documents Properties and select the Revisions tab... where you are able to remove individual revisions... I believe that this is permissible (from a retention point of view) if the Revisions are only changes to formatting or spelling.

InCH
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for that, I am aware of the different functionalities I'm just concerned that users can delete revisions as from a retention point of view this is a problem. How do we manage what changes have been made to a document and saved as either a revision or version? In a large Department I don't think we could. In some cases this would be unavoidable as the revisions is a useful tool. I don't think it should be so easy for users to remove any records as they are not always skilled enough to identify whether a change is just a revision or a new version. There is a lot of room for error in this functionality. Does anyone have a way to monitor this? Any business rules in place? I'd be interested to know (as we will need something in place) what people are using to manage this?

JanetL
Valued Contributor.

Have you considered removing the document delete/purge permission? That way when you go to make final you only get one choice ie 'Final'.

To monitor you can do a search of the online audit log (Tools, Security, Online Audit Log) then select 'document revision removed' to identify who is deleting revisions.

We actually allow users to remove revisions but the number of documents being made final at this stage (we only rolled out 5 months ago) is very low. And we provided guidance on when to make a new version if the revision is a significant draft although it is still a subjective decision of the individual.