Issue with Offline Records on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Justin_45
Trusted Contributor.

Issue with Offline Records on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit

Hi,

I have a client who is running Trim Context 6.2.4.1240 on Windows 7 Professional 32-bit.  Whenever they try to do anything with Offline Records (click on the Offline records tray or edit a document) they get the error:

An error occurred accessing the repository for Offline Records.  Class not registered (#80040154).

I have tried reinstalling, installing under the local administrator etc to no effect.  Everything else in Trim Context works fine.

I looked up the error and there is some mention of MDAC but that doesn't seem to apply here.  Has anyone seen this before and hopefully know how to fix it?

thanks

11 REPLIES
JasonIMEX
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Issue with Offline Records on Windows 7 Pro 32-bit

Unfortunatly Im pretty sure 6.2.4 #1240 is not supported on Windows 7 OS is 6.5 an option? 

Justin_45
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks for the reply JasonIMEX,

We have it working fine on several other Windows 7 PC's so it isn't an OS compatibility problem.  I am trying to see if there are any differences between the ones that are working and this one but cannot yet see anything obvious.

Neil Summers
HPE Expert

Not exactly correct...

According to TRIMSPEC for 6.2.4.1240, Windows 7 isn't supported...however this was a documentation  oversight on HP's part. Windows 7 is a supported OS for 6.2.4.1240, as was published in the TRIM compatibility matrix for 6.2.4 on HP's website (which has now been replaced by a 6.2.5 one).

This sort of issue with offline records is almost certainly permissions, and since VIsta, has tended to be caused by User Account Control (UAC) and the way TRIM is installed on the machine. Either some of your PC's have different UAC settings, users have different local admin permissions, or TRIM was installed differently for some reason. The instructions say TRIM should be installed either using group policy with elevated privileges, or from a command prompt window that's run as Administrator. This should avoid such permissions issues. As a test you could try setting UAC to "never notify" for that user, installing TRIM, then putting UAC back to its original setting.

Good luck

Neil

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
JasonIMEX
Outstanding Contributor.

Thats good to hear about 6.2.4 #1240

that is in our opionion one of the more stable version/builds.. That pesky UAC again just disable the **bleep** thing it causes pains across the board with other software also

Justin_45
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks guys but nothing has worked so far.  We have UAC disabled.  Have tried installing TRIM every which way as suggested.

It's gone on fairly easily with our other Win7 PC's.  There's always got to be one bad apple!

May have to reinstall the OS.

JasonIMEX
Outstanding Contributor.

A couple things I would check on is

Are the offline records on a share drive?

and does that person have access to that share? can they put files into that location.

and if they log into a session if Trim on another PC do they have the same issues?

just to narrow the options down wether it is the specific persons account or PC..

jsteinmetz
Frequent Contributor.

jcrow,

I know this is an old thread, but did you you ever find a resolution to this problem? We're having the same issue following a recent upgrade to Win 7.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Justin_45
Trusted Contributor.

Hi Jason,

I didn't have any more time to continue troubleshooting it so I ended up reinstalling Windows.  Trim has run fine ever since.  Not sure in the end what the problem was.

cheers

Ryan Winston
HPE Expert

Typically this solves the problem;

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM1036617

Otherwise, find a working, blank, trimtd.mdb and copy that into their profile.  It's usually just a corrupted trimtd.mdb file.  Or, create one by doing the steps mentioned in the KM article on your own instance of TRIM, then copying the "cleaned" trimtd.mdb file to their profile.

Justin_45
Trusted Contributor.
Solution

I found a solution to this if anyone is interested.  Installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package before installing Trim, or uninstalling Trim, installing the VC++ redist then reinstalling Trim gets everything working fine.

Neil Summers
HPE Expert

Thanks for that update Justin. I guess I was assuming the runtimes had been installed before TRIM.

Problem is the documentation (TRIMInstall.pdf) for 6.24 doesn't even mention Windows 7, so this step is easy to miss. It only talks about installing on Vista, and in the case of Vista it recommends installing the provided WindowsRuntimes.msi first ;-) Naturally this also applies if you're installing it on Windows 7.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/