Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we automatically stop and restart the Server hosting TRIM 7.3

Highlighted
DavidBowen
Super Collector

How can we automatically stop and restart the Server hosting TRIM 7.3

We are running HP TRIM 7.3.1 on a virtual server (MS Server 2008).  Our IT supplier wishes to stop the server every few weeks, install MS Updates, and restart the server.  However, when they do, HP TRIM does not become available until we manually log in and click the "Deploy" icon on the Enterprise Studio.

Is there a way of automating this?

6 REPLIES
raynebc

Re: How can we automatically stop and restart the Server hosting TRIM 7.3

Presumably the Workgroup service is running (after the server has rebooted) if the deploy operation doesn't report failure, but can you confirm this?  Is Trim Enterprise Studio installed on the virtual server in question?  Any other Workgroup servers running in that environment?  Instead of using the "deploy" function, have you tried restarting the Workgroup service first?

Greg Fraser_1
HPE Expert

I agree with the above comment, make sure TES is closed when not in use and delay the starting of the TRIM services. If the SQL server is also being restarted, make sure that the SQL services come back online, then start the TRIM services.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
DavidBowen
Super Collector

It is a simple installation;  a single workgroup server on a single VM.  So far as I know, the Windows Services (including all the TRIM services) all start OK.  The problem is that TRIM is not available to users until we click "Deploy".

raynebc

We have to ask these kinds of questions because if the Workgroup service starts before the database is accessible, Trim won't work until the Workgroup service restarts after the database IS ready.  If this happened, you should also be getting some Windows logging and alert emails about the database being unreachable.  The deploy function drops the config file on the server and restarts the Workgroup service in some way, which could be why it may be working around the bigger problem.  If simply restarting the WG service (instead of deploying the configuration) works, you know what the actual problem is, and can try a more targeted fix.  If the database server is running on the WG server, you can try configuring the WG service to delay its startup after the server boots as Greg suggests, or you could do something else like configure the WG service to make the database service a dependency, so it won't start the WG service before the latter is running.

DavidBowen
Super Collector

Thanks to you both.  That all makes sense.  We have a test run scheduled for next Tuesday.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Harry-Koppanyi
Frequent Visitor

This is due to issue of HP TRIM services starting before the DB services ( as stated by other fellows), I had the similar issue earlier, the easiest solution wothout deploying it again and again at every restart is to go into Windows Services -open HP TRIM workgroup service and choose Automatic Delayed Start for HP TRIM workgroup and IDOL services.

This will solve this issue. There are few advance setting e.g if service fails etc what to do etc.
Cheers,
Owais

Cheers,
Harry
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event