cancel

HPE RM8.3 Patch 1 9088 - Issue with Permissions for Records Manager

Highlighted
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

HPE RM8.3 Patch 1 9088 - Issue with Permissions for Records Manager

Hi, this one is fairly urgent

Win 7, HPE RM8.3 Patch 1 (9088) , SQL 2012-R2 MS OFFICE2010

I am testing (in a HPE RM8.3P1 environment) the above version before the implemntation in about 3 weeks and I am noticing that system option settings for Permissions are not holding, meaning, we have 36 permission set for a "Records Manager" user type and in a system options it looks exactly like that;

however, when I log on later as one of these average users "Records Manager" and even when I check mine and other records Manager user type profiles, they have almost Adminsitrative permissions ??!! Almost all of them ar checked !

How is this possible? How to fix this?

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Greg Fraser_1
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: HPE RM8.3 Patch 1 9088 - Issue with Permissions for Records Manager

For starters I don't think that it the way that was intended for permissions to be modified in 8.3

Records managers are meant to be the second highest level, and it would not make sense to dumb them down to the level that you are talking about at the system level option.

You might be better off beefing up the records co-ordinator settings instead.

Or, in my opinion a better way would be to edit a single location that is a records manager from the location properties and then apply 'use profile of' to the rest.
This way you maintain the integrity of the Records manager permissions but still get what you want.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Micro Focus**
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks,

it is a bit late for us to consider the Records Co-Ordinator now.

Yes, we do have a TEMP profile for the mixed environment that we will find our self in during the next mont upgrade, (Client Wednesday's and Servers Saturday) that will be applied to all records Manager's types, but now it looks like that we will use that Profile even for production and for all users

My colleague just told me when he flips the user profile to from Records Manager and Inquiry user, then the back to records Manager, it actually pick ups the proper profile (36 permissions) for Records manager user type..

strange ...

I'am going to check this now.

regards

Steve Macukat
Honored Contributor.

Can you give a user category higher-level permissions than default in RM8.3?  Like it was in Trim7?  Since the launch of RM8.1 you couldn't do that.  You had to choose a higher-level user category & then uncheck permissions.  For example if you wanted a Knowledge Worker to have access to "Run Statistics" you would need to upgrade them to Records Coordinator then take away all the extra permission you didn't want them to have.

If RM8.3 has gone back to the Trim7 model for user permissions that would be great.

Strider_1
Honored Contributor.

No change in 8.3 I'm afraid Steve

PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Morning from Australia,

We also thought that this was a cache-ing issue.... e.g. the permissions although looked given to those users, they were not enforced, but we tested one of the users and he really had all these high privieleges.

Good thing in HPE RM8.3P1 is that each individual user could be set to have it's own set of permissions.

So, Anyway, not sure what to do here .... we can't let everyone to be Administrators .... Once again, Initially, the 36 permissions set for Records Manager are not represented in user's profile... They still have all default privileges, e.g. almost as Admin's. But once we change each user to be inquiry user" and then change it back to be "Records Manager", they become users with proper 36 permissions.... How safe is this, what are the garanties that at some point of time after IT do some upgrade, thel all go back to be full default "Records manager" with all privileges?

Thanks