Client Support
cancel

Extrenal SMTP addresses being added to Internal locations in Trim 6.2

Highlighted
Marc218
Respected Contributor.

Extrenal SMTP addresses being added to Internal locations in Trim 6.2

I was checking some Internal Locations in Trim ( Internal trim user profiles) and notice that several have external email SMTP addresses added to their profiles under Properties - Electronic Addresses . I have asked the users andmost remember getting an email from that address and regstering the email in Trim but none have done anything specific to have  added these addresses themselves and was wondering if anyone know how these external addresses add themselves to the Internal Locations Trim ?

16 REPLIES
Neil Summers
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Extrenal SMTP addresses being added to Internal locations in Trim 6.2

So are you saying the external e-mail addresses are for someone else, not an external e-mail address that happens to be an external e-mail address for the internal location?

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

I think that's what he means Neil.  But **bleep** if I can figure out how that may be happening.  I know that HP TRIM will add the email addy etc as contacts in TRIM, but it should NOT add those email addy's to the user's electronic addressess that files the email into HP TRIM.

TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Oops, ok, I guess the da_n word is still on the bleep listing...  :smileymad:

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

TRIMGuru wrote:

Oops, ok, I guess the da_n word is still on the bleep listing...  :smileymad:

haha, yep!

Figured that out when the forums first opened...   >.<

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Well **bleep** **bleep** **bleep** **bleep**, nobody told ME!  lol  :smileymad:

Marc218
Respected Contributor.

That is correct ..... an external email not related to the internal location in anyway gets attached ...  it a serious issue ....Workflow emails from Trim get sent out to the external emails ( without anyone knowing it has happened ) my staff have to check everyday to see if anyomre of these rogue email addys get attached to internal locations  :smileysad:

.... I too have no f**** idea how Trim 6.2 does this or how to fix ......

TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Think you need to open up a support ticket with HP on this one Marc.  Maybe it's a known problem and they've come up with some sort of workaround for it OR they've corrected it in an update.

Neil Summers
Micro Focus Expert

Re: External SMTP addresses being added to Internal locations in Trim 6.2

Some careless use of the Remove/replace locations administrative utility?

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Strider_1
Honored Contributor.

I was thinking the same thing myself Neil, I really can't see any other way this could happen.

Marc218
Respected Contributor.

Spoke with HP and  in the Trim Context System Option window under the Record tab there is a radio button called :

Suppress Automatic Profiling on the Record from the Document Profile

Currently it is unchecked but will try checking this option and see if the problem persists or goes away ///will let you know how I go ..

em_1
Respected Contributor.

Marc, I gotta say that based on the description you have given it does not sound like HP's advice to tick that 'suppress' option will do the trick for you - unless, somehow your setup has been corrupted in some way...

It sounds like one of your TRIM 'maintenance' team has/is inadvertently misusing the replace/delete locations function as suggested by a previous poster above.

Just my thoughts. Let us know how it goes for you?

M

Marc218
Respected Contributor.

The replace/delete locations function you speak of .. Is it located in the properties Window in the locations area ?? Just trying to figure out where this function is to make sure somehow how it is not being incorrectly used ..

thanks

Marc

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Right-click a location and DELETE it, it will present you with an option to replace it with another location. (Move any relationships and email addresses to the replacement location)

I could easily see this problem occurring if someone DELETED an unknown location which was associated with Joe Blogs. Then selecting to 'replace' the unknown location with 'Joe Blogs' and moving the email address 'Bob Smith' into the email list for Joe....

Does that make sense?  :smileyvery-happy:

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Marc218
Respected Contributor.

Does make sense thanks ...

Marc

em_1
Respected Contributor.

Jon (Grundy) has explained exactly what I had in mind.

Marc, let us know the outcome? Thanks.

M :smileyhappy:

Marc218
Respected Contributor.

I know it been a while but I thought I would  post the what was discovered on this issue  Trim 6.2.5 ........

When a user tries to Trim an email from Outlook  it places the Email sender address in the author field .. If a user selects the yellow folder button next to the author field ( they sometimes will do this to try and locate an exisitng location in trim ) they are met with the following message :

"A contact with an e-mail XXX@XXXX could not be found, Press Yes if you wish to choose an existing location, No if you want enter more details for this location else CANCEL"

When the user selects yes and searches for and finds an exisiting location ( sometimes and Internal user location ) it will automatically add the email address to the location that has be selected via the search ......This is how the SMPT addresse are being added to internal users location without the user even knowing they have done it .....