Did you mean: 

Extra Large files & TRIM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
TOTinQLD
Regular Collector

Extra Large files & TRIM

Just wondering if you could recommend how I might deal with extra large files...  The files range in size from 2.3GB up to 3.8GB  The owner wants to register them in TRIM.

13 REPLIES
Terry McKenna
Frequent Visitor
Solution

Re: Extra Large files & TRIM

Can all of the large files use the same record type? If so, you can create a separate document store for that record type and check the files into TRIM using that record type. This allows you to segment this store for things like backup/recovery, save to a mass storage device, etc.

That's great advice TMack :smileyhappy:

Though he may not be able to segregate the "pot" now...

But as for bringing the large files into TRIM, I say just "do it".  It shouldn't be a problem...

Terry McKenna
Frequent Visitor

I agree with TRIMGuru that you can also simply just check them into TRIM using the existing documents store. TRIM does not have any limitations on file size or type, however, you do have to consider file transfer speed, copy from the PC to the server, etc., when dealing with large files.

Yep, it would be so for any application for files of that size...

Joshua Hutley
Occasional Visitor

Be prepared to wait for a long time to open these docs. TRIM is much slower than opening the documents compared to a normal server to PC experience.

Grundy
Honored Contributor

Yep, as above, TRIM encrypts and transfers the documents over a different protocol to Windows.

It will transfer at about 20-50Mb/s instead of the 100Mb-1Gb/s that your network may be capable of.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
TOTinQLD
Regular Collector

Thanks for all the advice!

I've paid Kudos...

Cheers,

TOT

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Grundy,

Is there anyway of speeding up the transfer of these large files to the client?  I thought I remember hearing something in the old days that you could.  Maybe turn off the encryption?  Does this get any better with TRIM 7.1?  Might it be on the roadmap?

People really hate that it takes 2+ minutes to open a 100MB PDF from TRIM, but less than 2 seconds in a normal Windows application.

Cheers,

Erik

Grundy
Honored Contributor

It was improved in 6.2.5 and 7.0.1 onwards and should run almost 5 times as fast. (According to R&D testing)

I havn't had time to setup a controlled test and confirm this myself yet.

Yes, if you disable encryption and client compression, it will run at almost the same speed as a normal transfer in windows.

But this is not advised or supported for obvious reasons.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Do you guys have any documentation on how to disable encryption and compression?  Doesn't seem to help and we don't want to upgrade this site just yet.

Grundy
Honored Contributor

There's no doco on this that is publicly available.

I can get the keys for you though and you can give it a try, but it requires a few changes in the environment.

e.g. set the keys server side, then change TES config for the WG server.

Then each client needs the keys set too.

etc etc...

For the effort involved, you'd be better off letting users wait for the files to download.  :smileysad:

Also remember that without the encryption, all data/documents transferred via TRIM are open to the world to see.

Any network monitoring/sniffer etc will be able to read the stream.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
EWillsey
Honored Contributor

The keys would be helpful.  I understand about the perils of removing encryption... but it's already on a secure network and the experience of the end-user is damaging the reputation of TRIM.  So am just trying to compile options until they can do an upgrade.

Thanks!

Grundy
Honored Contributor

Yep, will send them through with some basic instructions.

Please no one else ask for these, these keys are not supported and can expose TRIM to a major security risk.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event