Did you mean: 

Exporting user profile permissions data - TRIM 7.2.1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Joanna Thompson
Regular Collector

Exporting user profile permissions data - TRIM 7.2.1

Hi, I'm looking for an easy way for an administrator to export the profile permissions data from the locations table. Is there one?  I'm not a programmer, so I can't go in the back way - I can only work from the front end.

Thanks!

Joanna Thompson
Senior Records Management Application Analyst
Government Records Service, Corporate Information and Records Management Operations
Ministry of Finance, Government of British Columbia
10 REPLIES
EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Re: Exporting user profile permissions data - TRIM 7.2.1

Have you used TRIMPort?
Joanna Thompson
Regular Collector

Alas, TRIMPort doesn't export profile permissions. It looks to me like the profile permissions are part of some other table, but I can't figure out where that table is.

Joanna Thompson
Government Records Service, Corporate Information and Records Management Operations
Greg Fraser_1
HPE Expert

Are you just trying to export the permissions for end users, information workers etc. Or something more specific?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Joanna Thompson
Regular Collector

I would like to export the profile permissions for all the standard roles, and for all our custom roles as well.  Right now, I've just got an Excel spreadsheet that I'm filling out just by eyeballing the profile in TRIM.  Time consuming and there's potential for error.

Joanna Thompson
Greg Fraser_1
HPE Expert

Hi Joanna,

Just want to get my head around the scenario a little more, are you planning on using the same database between the 2 different permission sets?

If so, if you just copy the DB over to the new config all the user permissions will come across. Probably the easiest option.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
EWillsey
Honored Contributor
Solution

Joanna,

When you use TRIM Port to export locations it will include the column "Functions".  This field is a series of 0's and 1's, which directly relate to the permissions within TRIM.  There is also a column for the user category.  There is also a column for "Use Profile Of".  By mixing these various columns in your report you could determine which users are not using a specific known category, known "use location", and then the mixture of custom functional permissions.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Erik

Joanna Thompson
Regular Collector

So, in the functions column, the 0s and 1s directly relate to the permissions as listed?  If I look at that string of digits, a 0 would mean not applied and a 1 would mean applied?

Joanna Thompson
Joanna Thompson
Regular Collector

I've exported the function data, but there are over 150 digits in each cell.  There are only 91 permissions in a profile.  How do I know what permissions the 0s and 1s apply to?  I tried to do it in order of the list you see in the profile pane, but they didn't match up.

Joanna Thompson
EWillsey
Honored Contributor

There is no published list of what the functions (0's and 1's) directly relate to.  So I was mostly pointing it out so that you knew what the field was for.  If you spend some time playing with them you can figure it out (I've got a list for various versions, but it took me so long to decipher I'm not giving it away).

But if your goal is to know when there is a variance in functionality, put the information into excel and then group or pivot on the column.  You'll quickly see which people are out of the normal set of permissions.

Joanna Thompson
Regular Collector

Yes, I've now created several test users and will be exporting the data for one permission at a time and matching up my other spreadsheet from there.  My hopes that it would be easier have been dashed.  Oh well, thanks for letting me know what the function field meant!

Joanna Thompson
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event