cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EML format issues

Highlighted
raynebc

EML format issues

I was running into a problem with my Trim 7.3.5.5855 installation where it wouldn't preview catalogged emails properly, instead showing the message as being blank.  Relaunching the Trim client fixed the issue, so it looks like there is some sort of condition where the client corrupts its memory or something.

Oddly, whenever we try to view such EML files in Outlook 2010, they are displayed as gibberish.  Is this email format expected to work in Outlook?

6 REPLIES
Greg Fraser_1
HPE Expert

Re: EML format issues

Hey,

Just tested this in 7.35 64 bit and Office 64 bit and was not able to reproduce what you have been seeing.

can you run me through the steps you have been following?

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
Greg Fraser_1
HPE Expert

These issues seem slightly different.

One is changing the format of the email from HTML or Rich to plain text which is causing the formatting to be dropped.

This thread describes failure to preview and viewing EML files.

Might be the same though, Raynebc - do you have a screenshot you can attach.

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**
raynebc

I've attached a screen shot showing what I get when I try to view Trim's EML messages in Outlook 2010 x64.  After messing with it some more, I noticed that if I supercopied the file and renamed its extension to .MSG, it opened properly.  I think there are some instances where the Trim client malfunctioned and saved files with the wrong extension.

Edit:  Trim doesn't allow cataloged emails to be checked out or have a new revision added.  Short of destroying the record and recreating it with a properly-named file, is the only way to resolve this to edit the name of the document in the database and then rename the file in the document store to match?

Edit 2:  This may  have been user error, it doesn't seem like Trim caused this.  Is there any way to use the Trim integration to create an EML file short of catalogging the message into Trim?

Greg Fraser_1
HPE Expert

TRIM \ RM doesn't modify the extension in any scenario.

msg files are saved into TRIM when the integration is not used to catalogue the record. eg drag and drop

EML files are create and saved into TRIM when using the TRIM in Outlook integration.

EML and MSG files are very similar and I believe you can rename an EML to msg and outlook will recognise it and open it.

Was this a one off, as in are there only a couple of emails affected by this or is it fairly widespread and reproducible?

raynebc

As I mentioned, I determined that this was user error.  There was a malfunction of a SAN volume and we had to manually recover some files that had been entered between backups of the document store.  Somehow messages that had originally been catalogged via the Outlook integration (EML format) had been restored to the document store by taking an MSG file and renaming it to EML so that it simply matched the original file name.  Since I wanted to resolve it quickly I took the MSG files, put them into my mailbox, entered them into our development dataset via the TiO integration, super copied them to get EML files and put those EML files back into the production document store.

It doesn't seem that you're aware of a way to have the Outlook integration create an EML file any other way, so it seems this is generally the process I would have had to use anyways.  I tried your theory about the extensions, but Outlook 2010 will not open an EML file renamed with an MSG extension or vice-versa.

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event