cancel

Document won't move containers

Highlighted
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Document won't move containers

I'm hoping someone out there can help me, because HP won't.  We're continuing to experience an issue where a document will not move from one container to another.  Originally it was just one specific folder, but now it's starting to happen to others.  The end-users have a process where they put a document into a folder and then they slowly work through the items in the folder, moving it out once it's been completed.  On average there are like 30 documents in the folder at any given time, with a throughput of maybe 50 per day being processed.

Every now and then when they try to move a document into the other folder, it won't.  It looks like it goes but when you hit refresh it's right where it originally was.  The activity log doesn't show that anything happened.  The workgroup server logs doesn't show that anything happened.  But within TRIM it definitely looks like it did.  It doesn't matter if you drag/drop, right-click->Locations->Container, or use the registration form to move it.... it just doesn't move.

Methinks it's something to do with stale cache on the workgroup server.  If you move the document into a different folder (one other than the one you intend for it to go into), it'll move there... and then you can move it where it needs to go.  So weird. 

HP closed the support ticket without really investigating saying "Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be any basis here for an investigation".   I'm hoping someone else out there might have an idea of how to fix this.  Is there is a way to forcibly reset the wrokgroup server meta-data cache?  F5 and F6 don't fix it.  Closing TRIM doesn't fix it.  No TRIM client can move the document.  Restarting the workgroup server does fix it however.

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES
Rich_Kid
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Document won't move containers

hi

are all the users using the same workgroup server or do you have some using one and some using another?

I've seen odd behaviour (back in early 6.2 days) when some users have gone from primary to secondary and other are still on the primary.

One of the reason I prefer to point all users to the one server and use the secondary as a failover and not for load balancing. Its probably not an issue in 7.x but as they say once bitten !!

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

HP will help out.

PM me the case details and I'll get someone to look into here if you would like?

Personally I havn't seen or heard of this issue specifically, but if you're not seeing any SQL generated on the Client side, it sounds like a Client side bug. (Not a WG bob cache issue)

If you users gets this problem, but hit F6, then tries again, I assume it works?

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Sander Hoogwerf
Outstanding Contributor.

I've had this for 1 specific record a few months back. It just wouldn't move although it seemed to move until you hit F5 or F6, then it was back in the original container.

Tried it several times during a few weeks. Restart TRIM client, different client PC, reboot client, locally on a workgroupserver, different workgroupservers, restart all TRIM services on all machines. And it still wouldn't move. A few weeks later I wanted to show this to a co-worker and of course it worked OK then.

Maybe a server restart for the windows updates accross all machines did the trick, but I'm not sure if that was the case.

The record container was created twice with a recordnumber that was assigned to both records. One of them had to be renumbered and the document in it moved to the other, so this was a bit of a special situation.

Workgroup server logs didn't show any SQL activity.

This was on a 6.2.3 environment.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Thanks everyone!

Rich_Kid: most users just use one workgroup server. I've tried manually pointing to a different WG Server but that doesn't help.

Grundy: I sent you a PM, thanks. Yeah there is no client-side SQL generated. Hitting F6 does not make it work correctly. The only solution is to restart the workgroup server or to move it into a different folder first, then move it to the final destination.

Sander: Same thing here, though restarting the workgroup server consistently makes it work. This is 7.1 environment.

Thanks again!
Erik
TRIM8
New Member.

Did we get a solution for this issue?

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Nope, I was never able to figure this one out.

I can't remember if Erik found a solution eventually. :)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yeah I figured out how to work around it. Just move it to some other container first. Has to do with enclosure and some other bug. Move it elsewhere (and then back if you really want) and it'll work.