cancel

Digital Signatures and Windows 7

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Alan McFarlane
Regular Contributor.

Digital Signatures and Windows 7

We are currently testing Digital Certificates with Trim 6.2.4.1240 running on Windows 7 and are finding that no matter what we do the Signatures will not appear in Trim.
We are having no problems running the same Certificates with Vista.
Has anybody come across a problem with running Digital Signatures on Windows 7. Do you have to install the Certificates in a special way?
15 REPLIES
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Digital Signatures and Windows 7

I don't believe 6R2 build 1240 is actually supported on Windows 7.  Although the product runs and works this might be a limitation?  

How did you install the certificates?  Did you just double-click on them and add them to the root certificate store on the machine?

Alan McFarlane
Regular Contributor.

They are a personal certificate issued by our own Certificate Authority Server.

We had to download and install it and the CA certificate as well.

The process works fine in Vista and you can see the Digital Signature in Trim, but the same process in Windows 7 doesn't work.

I thought it may have to do with the version we are running and we may have to switch to Version 7 for Windows 7.

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

6.2.4 1240 IS supported on Windows 7.

Though I don't know if this would have been tested.

Windows 7 must be doing something different...

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Grundy,

If it IS support (I kinda like your emphasis), then why doesn't the TRIMSpec.PDF file contain a single mention of Windows 7?  I thought that specification document listed exactly what has been tested against that build?  So either it was never tested and officially approved, or that document just hasn't been updated.  I wouldn't be shocked by either option!  :smileyhappy:

As to the original post.  I just tested this on Windows 7 with TRIM 7 and the SDK reports back "Selection of Certificates is not supported in this version".  But it works wit XP/Vista.  So I think you've found something that just isn't going to work for right now.  You can manually attach the certificate through the signature process though, just not select it from the certificate authority.

Cheers,

Erik

Alan McFarlane
Regular Contributor.

Thx Erik

You have confirmed what I thought was the issue.

As for attaching a signature I thought you could only attach a signature exported from another vesion of Trim for that particular document.

I didn't think you could attach a normal certificate file as a signature via that process.

Roger

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yeah, you can just upload the certificate after browsing for it.  It's my understanding that selecting it from the certificate authority does the same thing (just attaching it and verifies it later against the authority).  I've mostly seen people just browse for it.

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

erikwillsey wrote:

Grundy,

If it IS support (I kinda like your emphasis), then why doesn't the TRIMSpec.PDF file contain a single mention of Windows 7?  I thought that specification document listed exactly what has been tested against that build?  So either it was never tested and officially approved, or that document just hasn't been updated.  I wouldn't be shocked by either option!  :smileyhappy:

Cheers,

Erik

Yeah, it IS supported. :smileyhappy:

It was certified by QA after the release of 6.2.4 and after the TRIMSpec was finished.

I published it on the old forums a few times, I thought you would have read that. :smileywink:

All internal support staff were advised, so anyone contacting support with 6.2.4 and Win7 should be fine.

- G

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Joshua Hutley
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi

Just coming back to this topic. We can't get TRIM 7.1 or TRIM 7.2 to detect our digital signatures yet other applications using the WIndows API can.

Is there something I am missing re TRIM 7.1 and signatures in WIn 7?

We had no problems last year with WIn XP and TRIM 625

Neil Summers
HPE Expert

For anyone who's interested, this has been raised with the developers as there does seem to be a problem with TRIM trying to generate a digital signature for a record if the client's running on Windows 7.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
Neil Summers
HPE Expert

QCCR2D44979 - Digital Signatures - Unable to generate signatures on Windows 7

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

BKorn
Super Contributor.

Has there been any progress on this issue. I am also experiencing issues with Trim 7.1 accessing the certificate store via the windows API under windows 7. I am able to use version 7.1 on XP and am able to sign documents fine.

Joshua Hutley
Outstanding Contributor.

HI

I have a hotfix from HP for this (although i am still having issues applying a signature). They are at least recognised by TRIM in WIn 7.

Ask HP to provide the hotfix for you. It might help if you too can test the hotfix.

Neil Summers
HPE Expert

Yes you should log a support case asking for a copy of the hotfix. A hotfix such as this needs to be requested by each site individually, as HP need to take into consideration any other hotfixes that may have been installed at that site.

The relevant CR is:

QCCR2D44979 - Digital Signatures - Unable to generate signatures on Windows 7

Neil

Neil Summers
HPE Expert

Joshua Hutley wrote:

...I have a hotfix from HP for this (although i am still having issues applying a signature). They are at least recognised by TRIM in WIn 7.

Ask HP to provide the hotfix for you. It might help if you too can test the hotfix.

A correction to my last post, sorry:

What Joshua has isn't actually an official hotfix; just some amended code for testing. It doesn't work properly yet. Please don't ask HP for a "hotfix" for this issue as we are unable to provide one. HP are still investigating this. Keep an eye out for the abovementioned CR to be included in a future release.

Neil

Neil Summers
HPE Expert

Interestingly QCCR2D44979 - Digital Signatures - Unable to generate signatures on Windows 7 - was listed in TRIM7.12_Fixes.htm as fixed in 7.1.2.1879. It wasn't. This was a mistake.

This issue is now being tracked on QCCR2D45694 - Digital Signatures - Unable to generate signatures on Windows 7. It's close to resolution but a fix hasn't been included in any public release yet.

Neil