Deleting Record Type

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Helena5
Occasional Advisor

Deleting Record Type

Hi All,

I would like to know how I can delete a Record Type that is no longer needed. How do I go about doing this?

Kind regards,

H

9 REPLIES
EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Re: Deleting Record Type

You need to delete all of the existing records of that type. Or you can change then to another type. The you can remove it.
Helena5
Occasional Advisor

Hi EWillsey,

The records saved using the Record Type I  want to remove have been deleted.  However, when I try to delete or remove the Record Type I get the following message 'Records of this type exist on the dataset.  Remove is not allowed.' I have tried to open the dataset > properties (see attachment) but I don't know where to go or what else to do next.

What do you suggest?

Kind regards,

Helena5

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

Try these (rough outline) steps:

1) Open TRIM

2) Click Search->Find Records

3) Change your search method to "all" (TRIM 7) or "date registered 1/1/1900 - today" (TRIM 6.x)

4) Click the filter tab

5) Untag all

6) Tag only the record type you're trying to remove

7) Click Ok

8) In the search results window, right-click->tag all

9) Right-click->Administrative Tools->Delete

10) Click ok if prompted to action on all tagged records

11) Click ok in the "delete Record" dialog

12) Click Yes to All

If these records are folders and used as the default container for a document queue you may get an error and have to remove those queue.  If they are documents you may get errors on the first pass (or few passes) when you try to delete a document which has a later version.  If that happens just repeat the process until they are all gone.

Now that all of the records have been removed you can delete the record type, assuming it's not used for any other core defaults (like maybe document queues).  

Helena5
Occasional Advisor

I have been successful in removing the Records saved in by the Record Type I want to delete, but I am still beeing prevented from deleting the Record Type. when I try, I get the same message RECORDS OF THIS TYPE EXIST ON THE DATASET. REMOVAL IS NOT ALlOWED.

I've tried to go the dataset properties but I am not sure if this is possible because when I go to File>Open Dataset >Properties i don't know where or what I need to do.

Is there any other way around it or am I looking in the wrong place?

Kind regards,

H

EWillsey
Honored Contributor

If you followed the steps provided there should be no records of that type. 

Remember though you'll need to be an Administrator with the highest security level and all caveats in order to see all records of that type.  The fact you're getting that error message indicates there are some you're not seeing in the seach results.  Update your location's profile and try again.

BARRINGTON GREE
Collector

Just to add to the above :

1)  I would recommend doing all of this first in your QA environment 

2) after running the commands Eric has recommended, stop and restart your Workgroup and Event servers 

Strider_1

Perhaps the message is a tad erroneous (wouldn't be the first time with TRIM!) and it is not actually records that are associated. Perhaps another record type is using the one you are trying to delete for it's numbering pattern? Maybe something else along similar lines...

Good luck !

Simon Eve-Macle
Regular Collector

You also need to remove any associations on the record type with other objects such actions, workflows, additional fields etc.

Took me ages to remove a record type once because it was connected to a disused workflow.

Helena5
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Thank you ALL so very much.

I followed your advice and I was able to delete the Record Types. The message that kept coming up about the Dataset kept tripping me up. In the end, it was containers used as defaults (document queue).

Thank you All once again.

Helena5

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event