cancel

Datasets with same ID on different servers

Highlighted
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

Datasets with same ID on different servers

Am I correct that having datasets with the same name on two different workgroup servers where say one server is a test server and another is production is a problem? Won't the Trim client have problems? I seem to recall having problems with this like the client gets confused and can't register two datasets of the same name even though they are on different servers. Also what if the names are different but the IDs (for example 50) are the same. Will that cause a problem?

3 REPLIES
Chris Mcklaren
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Datasets with same ID on different servers

1. The dataset id must be unique whereever multiple datasets exist.

2. It's very helpful to humans that the TRIM dataset names are unique but it is not as important (I think TRIM has some protection in this area).

3. Generally you would not allow production workstations to have access to other environments (Testing, development, etc...) to avoid these very serious problems.  If you do have cross over I hope you have some very good backup records.

Cheers,
Chris Mcklaren
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Chris is correct, it can be dangerous using the same DBID across multiple datasets in the same network.

What if someone thinks they are connected to Training (ID 45) but are actually connected to Production (ID 45) because someone mistyped the dataset name or workgroup server on the TRIM client?

Deleted records? test imports? dodgy files in the document store?...

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

Thanks guys. I actually found where I asked this same question on the old forum long ago and forgot about it.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1307466223284+28353475&threadId=1371606