cancel

Data Migration from HP RM 8.1 to HP TRIM 7.1

Highlighted
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Data Migration from HP RM 8.1 to HP TRIM 7.1

Hi,

Win 7, HP RM 8.1.1.7760, SQL 2012-R-2 MS Office 2010.

Yes, we are in the situation that we must do a data migration from a certain branch in our company (we use HP RM8.1) to another company that uses old TRIM 7.1 ( Company separation happened) .

Basicaly, we must export everything whats theirs from HP RM 8.1 and they need to import all that into their HP TRIM 7.1 system 

What should we pay attention to and what sort of issues can arise here.? Anyone done anything similar? 

I know we need to use DATAPORT 8.1 for export and TRIMPORT 7.1 for import. Can we safely use the DATAPORT 8.1 somehow and import the data into HP TRIM 7.1? 

Other concerns:

Exporting Saved searches from 8.1 and importing them in 7.1

Exporting all revisions, movement history, audit history, renditions, Business Classifications
Retention Schedules, Must pay attention to backup process if we do that in 3 o clock in the morning , then also event, word and content indexing, ... What the webdrawer links would be? Migrating saved searches? Field length different 256 characters max? Exporting and importing internal and external locations, security groups...

Also, probably their new company will have different established record types for company corporate docuemnts and other record types ... how to map them? 

Access security model is different, then also must pay attention to a Docuemnts checked out, offline records, linked folder in MS Outlook , uncompleted actions, unenclosed docuemnts ..

Hard copy request (in our system) for files from external storages... then issues with triggers and dates set for destruction ... 

Also, different email formats ..trim uses vmbx and msg... HP RM8.1 use EML ..

Did we miss anything, what should we include in this list...Also, how to solve these existing issues?

Any Advices are welcxomed. 

Thanks 

8 REPLIES
Steve Macukat
Honored Contributor.

Re: Data Migration from HP RM 8.1 to HP TRIM 7.1

Management have just dropped a sticky problem in you lap. I think you've just outlined the basis of a very strong business case to management to pay for outside help.

You also need to weigh up the cost of this approach versus bringing forward the upgrade of the v7 system.

I don't believe it's possible to ever migrate Saved Searches. That will need to be done manually.
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks, 

we would really need a solution for exporting / importing all revisions of the docuemnts. 

Can something be done from the back side, SQL Database? 

Thanks

PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

The other option would be (as someone suggested) a creation of a HP RM8.1 system especially for that newly formed branch; the replica of what they have in our system (database, electronic documents, locations revisions etc.) 

My concern if they go for this option, how to configurre the TRIMSTORE (Electronic document store)? Meaning: would the path from their HP RM number towards their electronic documents be different? Is it possible to copy just a certain electonic documents and folders from our TRIMSTORE and not others.. 

Can this be synchronised in a different way?

What other issues can pop up here? Issue of revisions?

Thanks

RachaelR
Super Contributor.

I'd assume this would be similar to setting up a "test dataset"? - that's just what I know it as.
Copying over the files so they retain their numbering etc. We've only ever done this for a date range (for training environments) like the last 2 months but we stil get the metadata for other douments outside of the scope. Not sure if there is a way of preventing this or if you have to go through and clear it up manually...? I'm also not sure if you can specify records or if it's a range based thing?

I know tehnicially that the above is not overly helpful but it might prompt someone who is a bit more knowledgable.

~*~
Current Build: 9.0.4.488
My comments, views, opinions etc. are a reflection of myself and no-one else
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Thank you RachaelR, 

this reminded me that they need to have (by State Records Office) a new record type, which complicates a situation a bit. Strict distinction must be for dcouments when that company officialy branch left us (although still using our infrastructure and system) and from a New Year e.g. (documents made after that period) ....

Yes, I know it looks complicated.

And you are right, I think a manual clean-up would be required for the deletion of data in that new "test / future Live environement that are not related to them.

Regards

Steve Macukat
Honored Contributor.

Hi PerthRM8.  If they're using your existing infrastructure will you still be the admin of their TRIM system? You could keep all their data in the same dataset but apply different security & record types.

Harry-Koppanyi
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi

We have a solution (product) TRIMBocX that is an integration platform including data migration (bi-directional) bewteen any HPTRIM to HP RM including data from Saved Searches and different Record Types, DataSets and Workgroups with selective data including Additional Fields.

Happy to assist and have a chat to discuss it further. You can reach me (I am mostly Sydney based) on my email or Linkedin or through our company (Anbul Technologies) site contact page whichever suites.

Cheers,

Harry Koppanyi

Cheers,
Harry
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks Steve, that change of access can happen once we export the data into the new environment, other changes as well, record type, security groups, locations etc.