Client Support
cancel

Creating External Locations - Recommended Permissions

Highlighted
robertholl2011
Frequent Contributor.

Creating External Locations - Recommended Permissions

We currently have a large number of Location Unknown entries for email records, which I am working to clean up.  I will be creating external locations, which will not be enabled to log in to TRIM, but the access should still be limited.  Any recommendations for the security that should be applied to these external person locations would be great.  The initial thought was to use the "Inquiry User" category, and under "Access Controls", restrict "Can Modify Access" and "Can Delete" to "Trim Administrator".   

3 REPLIES
Rich_Kid
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Creating External Locations - Recommended Permissions

I dont use Inquiry user as (by default) it can be a record owner , home, and assignee, none of which we want an external user to be 

We  have a custom user with no security level (as extenal people can't have a security level within our organistion) and  just the "can be contact" permission. None of the users assigned this profile have a logon.

This allows them to be made a contact on records but nothing else.

If there are some external users you want as assignees then they will need to have a security level. You could have a custom user for each security level so an external person allowed to be the assignee of Unclassified records could have a profile of "ExtenalUserUnclasssified"  which can be an assignee.

robertholl2011
Frequent Contributor.

Rich_Kid, Thank you for the reply.  This will help a lot. One of my other thoughts was a custom user as well, but was weighing the options between a pre-configured user and creating a new custom user.

Rich_Kid
Outstanding Contributor.

I use the preconfigured ones only for internal people that can login, everything else (like a business unit,position, physical or virtual storage location etc is a custom user using the profile of "something" so 1, information manager are the record keepers 2, information worker are selected power users that have some limited records management responsibilities (coordicators and staff at offices outside of central office who have to create files and do barcode scans etc) 3, end users are staff who create files or electronic records 4, inquiry users are staff who can login to search but dont have ceate records permissions The one exception is the preconfigured administrator account which is used only by the Trim service account for the workgroup servers. (sorry about the lack of formatting in this reply,using an ipad and it dosnt seem to be so friendly with the forums! spelling and grammer has always been a problem for me, can't blame technology)