cancel

Container Levels

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Container Levels

Here's a good one.  I was always under the impression, as inferred by HP TRIM's Help File, that in order to contain (either container or alternative container) a record within another record, that the container record HAS to be a higher container level as defined in the record type properties.

What we've found is that in fact, a record type with a container level of 2, can indeed contain another record within the SAME record type (using the alternative container relationship or container).

The Help file also states that a record type with a container level of "1" cannot contain any other records.  I was able to contain a record (using the alternative container relationship) that had a container level of "1" into another record that has a container level of "1" .

So the bottom line question is - is there anyway to prevent containing a record into another record, where both have the same container level?

Apprecitate any help  :smileyhappy:

5 REPLIES
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: Container Levels

The Alternatively Within relationship does not have any restrictions around Record Type Levels.  You can alternatively contain any record type within another record type... very useful for setting up relationships regardless of other settings.

There is no way to prevent this.

TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Thanks Eric

Neil Summers
Acclaimed Contributor.

I guess the real question is whether this is causing you any pain? If so, there might be a case for requesting an enhancement to enforce the container level hierarchy when using Alternatively Within relationships. The trade-off might be that you'd lose the flexibility it currently provides.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
TRIMGuru
Acclaimed Contributor.

Yep Neil, I advised the client to request an enhancement for an option to allow alternative container relationships to follow the same business rules as a container.  Might be tough though, one is a "function" (the container), and the other is a relationships (alternative container).

Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

This has been raised with R&D before and was quickly turned down.

Alternatively Within and Alternatively Contains are just 'relationships', nothing more.

The only difference with these 2 relationships is that they can be used to show records when searching or expanding the contents of a container when certain options are set in TRIM.

There is an open enhancement request to provide more control of this relationship type (e.g. exluding certain records types / levels from being the container etc)

CR 35668

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au