cancel

Client Connection attempt timed out error....

Highlighted
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

Client Connection attempt timed out error....

Trying to connect from a Trim 32-bit 7.1 client on XP on our LAN (in a domain) to a Trim 7.1 Windows 2008 R2 server (in a workgroup). I get "Client Connection attempt timed out error" messages when I try to browse the datasets on the server by adding the server in the Open Dataset selection in the client. I've searched the forum and so far it's been firewall issues. Port 1137 is open on both our firewall and Windows firewall on the server. I can see the connection attempt on port 1137 trying to be made on our firewall so it looks like it should work. Any ideas on this?

7 REPLIES
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Client Connection attempt timed out error....

Are you able to run a client locally on the server?

Does it connect and work correctly?

If so, then it will be a problem with the connection between client/server.

Checking firewall/ports as you've said already is the first thing to check.

Start with the local test above though and go from there.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

I installed a client in the same subnet, same Windows workgroup and it worked just fine. For the clients that don't work I don't see any firewall issues.  Should what I'm trying to do work? Connect from a Trim client in a Windows domain to a Trim server that is running in a Windows workgroup. Even if I have a local operating system account on the server matching the password of my domain account?

Tonyt_1
Super Contributor.

Are you using different domains for the client and server, if you are there are a couple of things to check:

• For authentication across the domains, the domains must be setup as trust domains.
  • The firewall must be setup to allow connections, on Port 1137, between and to the servers in a different domain.

Also do you specify the domain in the Trim server name - if the client expects it to be in the same domain it will be unable to connect.

(Please state the version of TRIM/RM/CM that you are using in all posts)

**Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be interpreted as an official statement on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise**

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://community.saas.hpe.com/t5/Products/ct-p/sws-ProductFamilies
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

1. The server is in a workgroup, not a domain. Therefore no trust. Hence why the local user with the exact same password. I've seen another person on the forum get this to work with a domain. 2. Our firewall and the Windows firewall on the server both allow port 1137 to that subnet. The Trim client is trying to do a DNS lookup and the syntax workgroup\servername doesn't work. Never goes bold. However just servername it goes bold (name resolution occurs is I guess what that means). But I get the timeout error if I hit the next button. Is there some way of telling the client that the server is in a different domain? When you hit the Next button what is occurring?
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

No, it wont work.

The user must be authenticated on the same domain as the workgroup.

For cross-domain setups, we normally recommend that you have a Workgroup in the domain that users are in, then the WG can use a SQL account to access the database which may be in another domain with other WG servers.

What you are trying to do wont work (not easily anyway) and isn't supported.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
samd_1
Honored Contributor.

I don't get the difference between it supporting Workgroup-Domain setup versus Domain-Domain other than you can set up a trust with two domains?

Where does it say that a workgroup is not supported? I've seen this term "not supported" in here a few times. I'd like a document of the things HP does not support with Trim so that I don't go trying to make something work, that even if I did, wouldn't be supported. See my point?

HCCIT
New Member.

This problem occurs due to the TCP/IP stack in the registry having incorrect or missing entries.

A reset of TCP/IP in the registry sets it back to operating system defaults and then TRIM client connections work again.

The steps to follow (from Microsoft) are :

One of the components of the Internet connection on your computer is a built-in set of instructions called TCP/IP. TCP/IP can sometimes become damaged or corrupted. If you cannot connect to the Internet and you have tried all other methods to resolve the problem, TCP/IP might be causing it.

Because TCP/IP is a core component of Windows, you cannot remove it. However, you can reset TCP/IP to its original state by using the NetShell utility (netsh).

The reset command is available in the IP context of the NetShell utility. Follow these steps to use the reset command to reset TCP/IP manually:

To open a command prompt, click Start and then click Run. Copy and paste (or type) the following command in the Open box and then press ENTER:

cmd

At the command prompt, copy and paste (or type) the following command and then press ENTER:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Note If you do not want to specify a directory path for the log file, use the following command:

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Reboot the computer.

TRIM client connections to the workgroup server should now work properly.

Further details : KB Article