Did you mean: 

Client Connection Timeout - HPTRIM Version 7.1.0 & SQL Server 2008R2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Yuri Prado

Client Connection Timeout - HPTRIM Version 7.1.0 & SQL Server 2008R2

Hi,

I am having difficulties resolving a dataset connection issue.

I have set up a lab environment using VMware virtual platform. Currently I have 2 domain controllers, 1 x database server, 1x application server, 1x web server and 2x end user workstations. All VM's within the domain are connected correctly. OS's are Window Server 2008 R2 (Enterprise), SQL Express 2008 R2, Windows 7 Enterprise Edition. I installed TRIM Workgroup Server client and successfully configured the TEM to connect to the newly created TRIMDB on the SQL server. The issue is that I'm unable to access the TRIM dataset from the end user workstations (Windows 7), but I can successfully open the TRIM client from within the server. Windows firewall ports within the server & workstations are allowing incoming/outgoing communications from  the TRIM workgroup as well as the SQL server. Also, I'm using NTLM authentication. I know that I'm almost there, but.....

Can anyone tell me if there is an specific setting that might be stopping a client workstation from accessing the dataset, and why I can successfully access the dataset within the server. The error that I get from the client workstiaon is ' Client Connection Timeout'. I know that the issue has to be with the SQL server. Your help will be appreciated. Cheers.

3 REPLIES
Sander Hoogwerf
Honored Contributor

Re: Client Connection Timeout - HPTRIM Version 7.1.0 & SQL Server 2008R2

If you can connect locally on your server, then your connection to SQL Server is OK, so no futher problems in that area are to be expected as the clients won't access SQL server directly. They only connect to the WGS and IIS.

So your problem must be between client and server. Are you sure your 2008R2 firewall is opened correctly? To test you can disable the firewall completely and if that works you can then "debug" furhter from there. Windows 2008R2 firewall has setting for public and private, be sure to test this to figure out what your machines consider public and private.

My own tests showed that repairing/reinstalling TRIM may cause your firewall exception to get lost.

Your workstations are also member of the same domain your workgroupservers are in? If not make sure at least the different domains are trusted. 

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Yuri Prado

Sander Hoogwerf wrote:

If you can connect locally on your server, then your connection to SQL Server is OK, so no futher problems in that area are to be expected as the clients won't access SQL server directly. They only connect to the WGS and IIS.

So your problem must be between client and server. Are you sure your 2008R2 firewall is opened correctly? To test you can disable the firewall completely and if that works you can then "debug" furhter from there. Windows 2008R2 firewall has setting for public and private, be sure to test this to figure out what your machines consider public and private.

My own tests showed that repairing/reinstalling TRIM may cause your firewall exception to get lost.

Your workstations are also member of the same domain your workgroupservers are in? If not make sure at least the different domains are trusted. 

Hi Sander,

The workstations are member of the same domain. I will follow your advise, although I can see the servers in the network through the network discovery feature, I keep on getting the error message when I attempt to add the workgroup server via 'open TRIM Context Dataset'. Disable the firewall on the workgroup server should work, hopefully.  I will let you know how I go. Cheers.

Yuri Prado
Solution

Hi Sander,

You were right. Firewall issues was stopping me from accessing the dataset. I switched the firewall on the application server.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event