cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install 7.02 build 1621

Highlighted
samd_1

Can't install 7.02 build 1621

I am trying to install 7.02 build 1621 on a 2008 R2 server. I am an administrator. I installed all the prereqs including .net 3.5 SP1, Visual Studio 2008 runtimes, and Visual Basic Runtimes in that order. This machine previously had version 7.00 successfully installed no problems. I did uninstalls of everything, rebooted and then deleted the Trim directories after the reboot since the uninstaller for 7.00 doesn't do that. When I go through the installer selecting everything for the Server but the Demo database I get to the screen where I'm prompted for my domain, user and password for the service to run as. I have done this plenty of times in our environment in version 6.x and 7.00 so I know what to put in. Also looked again at the 7.02 install to make sure I was remembering right. However if I hit the next key I get a message saying either the credentials are wrong or the account doesn't have the log on as a service privilege. I know the account has that privilege as I used it before on the same machine for Trim 7.00 and I double checked anyway. So that's fine. I also doubled checked that I was remembering the password correctly by logging onto another machine with that account. If I click to ignore this error anyway and proceed with the install the install will fail with a dialog saying that the Workgroup Service could not be created maybe due to a lack of permissions. At that point I hit the Cancel button and the install is rolled back. What am I forgetting here or have others had this problem?
49 REPLIES
Grundy
Honored Contributor

Re: Can't install 7.02 build 1621

Have you run the MSI 'as administrator'?

You may need to:

1. Goto Start > Programs > etc... > right-click 'Command Prompt' > Run As Administrator

2. navigate to the HP_TRIM msi

3. run msiexec /i HP_TRIM.msi

If you are running UAC, turn it off.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
TRIMGuru
Honored Contributor

Grundy is spot on!

Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008
Follow these steps if you are installing HP TRIM on the above operating systems and are not
using Group Policy:
1 Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Accessories.
2 Right-click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
3 Type msiexec.exe /i “<file path>\HPTRIM.msi” and press Enter
4 Continue the installation from Installation dialog boxes

samd_1

Already thought of run as Administratotr from command prompt. Same result. 

It worked just fine by the way without me doing Run as Administrator or turning off UAC on 7.00 on the same machine. Something changed in 7.01 or 7.02.

TRIMGuru
Honored Contributor

"...the credentials are wrong or the account doesn't have the log on as a service privilege"

That error msg came up for me on the 3 installs I've done, but I was able to Ignore the error and it let me continue on.  Then afterwards, I went into Services, then the properties of the workgroup service and manually added the log on name and password.

You say that when you hit "cancel" it rolls back.  Does it offer you another "button" besides "Cancel"?

samd_1

Just double checked. Now I get the same thing if I try to reinstall 7.00 again. Is there something I'm not thinking about here? Some remnant maybe of 7.00? I removed the old versions of the vb runtimes and vs2008 runtimes and am making sure to install the ones in the order listed in the manual. Unless some recent Windows Updat altered something that Trim is not liking.

samd_1

Yes I can hit continue. The first time I tried an install was on my XP machine and just hit continue but the install ended up failing and I didn't even have a Trim Workgroup Service. I'll just ignore and continue on and see if this works on my 2008 R2 box.

TRIMGuru
Honored Contributor

I think that'll work, but just remember to go in to the properties of the workgroup service after the install and manually enter the log on info..

samd_1

Gotta be somethign stupid. I get a message at the end of the install saying I don't have sufficient privileges to install system services. I'm logged on as the domain admin so I better be able to do that. WTF is going on?

TRIMGuru
Honored Contributor

Yeah, but do you have LOCAL admin rights on the box?  Add your logged on domain name to the local admin group...

samd_1

Yes. Domain admins group by default is in the local administrator group as the machine I'm installing on is part of our domain.

I'm gonna try a 6.24 install real quick. EDIT: dumb idea as can't install 6.24 under 2008.

TRIMGuru
Honored Contributor

I understand what you're saying, but can you specifically add your log in name to the local admin group, just to give it a try?  Then log out and log back in...

samd_1

Nope same thing at least as far getting the first message about the login credentials being wrong or no logon as a service right.

Only thing maybe in common between this machine and my XP machine is that they both have SQL Server 2008 R2 server or client tools on them. So wondering if that is causing an issue somehow. Can't remember if last time I installed Trim 7.00 if I had SQL Server already installed before Trim or installed after. Just throwing that out there. Should have nothing to do with services.

This is gonna be somethign stupid I am overlooking. 

TRIMGuru
Honored Contributor

The sql server shouldn't come into play when you're just trying to install the workgroup...

That error msg of logon credentials comes up everytime for me, I just Ignore and Continue...

samd_1

I assume you don't get the message soon after the files are copied saying the Service couldn't be created?

TRIMGuru
Honored Contributor

No, when I ignored/continued the install, it DID install the service, just didn't start it...

samd_1

Same thing. Possbile license issue? I leave the license screen blank. I have also tried a 7.00 eval license and also another license that works fine for 6.25.

samd_1

Turning off UAC altogether didn't resolve this. Still get message about Workgroup Service not installed. I noticed during the install process it says something about setting up SQL Server. Real quick message among the many messages for things that the install is doing. I keep thinking it may be that..

Helen Barnes
Frequent Visitor

Try creating a user profile with Sysadmin rights in SQL for the user who will be running the WGS.  I've seen some weirdness with SQL permissions in that version.

Helen Barnes
HPE Content Manager Information Developer
HPE Software: Information Management & Governance
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
samd_1

I haven't even selected the Demo database so not sure why it should even matter.

I just don't get why I was able to install 7.00 before on this same machine. I can't install 7.00, 7.01 or 7.02 now.

Grundy
Honored Contributor

Something has gone really wrong with that machine.

I've never had these issues on any of my test machines and since 7.0.0 no longer installs correctly either, it's a sign that something has changed on the machine.

have you tried logging into the machine with a different account and installing using a different service account in the MSI?

Try logging in with a local admin account (create a new one) and use the SAME account in the msi steps.

(Where you set the domain, you may need to type the local machine name instead)

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
Grundy
Honored Contributor

A colleague also suggest that when you uninstall TRIM (or ready to install 7.0.2), make sure you delete any TRIM related registry keys fro HKLM and HKCU. It's possible that these keys may have been left behind for some reason.

Also, check the SQL Management Studio and see if there is still a 'DemoDB' database?

This would have been installed from 7.0 and the new install might be having issues when this database already exists.

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
samd_1

Worked fine installing as the local Administrator and putting the local Administrator in as the account to use for the Service to start with. Still got the stupid warning messages that I had to click ignore to. But the install finished. Has someone put that message in as a bug already?

Now to uninstall Trim and see if for some oddball reason Trim is the problem for this user as well. Maybe Trim doesn't like being reinstalled after you have installed it as a certain user.

EDIT: Yes I had already seen that there was a Demo and another Dataset there as well but wanted to leave them figuring there is no way they should cause a problem as I'm sure when people upgrade they don't remove their database. Even the demo especially since I didn't pick the demo during the install of 7.02, 7.01 or 7.00 when I tried to install again. 

I'm going to uninstall in a bit and then try this again.

Grundy
Honored Contributor

Glad that test worked.

It does indicate that maybe some HKCU reg keys are being left over, or alternatively, the previous account you were using had something wrong with them!

About the error message, I've never got that myself when I use the correct account with the correct user rights assignments...

NOT A HP EMPLOYEE

INFORMOTION.com.au
TRIMGuru
Honored Contributor

Now THIS is what I'm talking about!  People from all over trying to help :smileyhappy:

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event