cancel

Allowing users to "Delete" documents

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
H_W_Y
Contributor.

Allowing users to "Delete" documents

We have an issue where we cannot legally "destroy" records. Draft documents, Letters that are written but not sent and even (apparently) post it notes can count as records and must be kept for 7 years.

However users want to be able to delete. All our documents have their security settings set to container so the first idea was to setup a container where users could Contribute Contents but not view them. I found a post that [1] seems to imply that this can be done but in our tests it’s not working because users can find the folder.

Is there any way users can hide a document form everyone including themselves (but not admins) it so if we get FOI requests it’s still there?

Cheers,

Michael

[1]http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-TRIM-Forum/Contribute-Contents/td-p/4271434#.UJx3W2ez76k

9 REPLIES
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Allowing users to "Delete" documents

Some TRIM partners provide a solution which allows the user to right-click->request delete.  The utility captures a reason and then either adds a caveat or changes the access control (there are a few other options as well).  That way the user thinks it's gone from the system, but you have the oppotunity to put a draft schedule on it and destroy it according to draft policy.

If you don't want a solution you could just have your users email you a reference link to the document, then you perform those same steps manually.

H_W_Y
Contributor.

Thanks for the very quick response, we are currently doing it manually with users sending a link and me changing the permissions but that doesn’t scale very well.

I like the idea of a right-click>request delete option; we are currently using Kapish TRIM Explorer I don’t believe they provide that option but I’m going to look, maybe they will add it in future.

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

It's another add-on that plugs directly into TRIM Explorer (or regular TRIM). Ask your local Kapish sales department for a quote!

Rich_Kid
Outstanding Contributor.

if your system is configured not to allow users to delete records (so your users do not have delete record permission) then there are some other setting you need to check that could be used to get remove (delete content) from records.

(so in a reverse way these are 'methods' people can use to remove content, not that I'm advocating this as a solution to your problem - so no kudos marks for this please!!)

On the Document Record type:

Allow Replace. if this is enabled a user could replace the content on a record by checking in a blank document.

(I think this is on as a defult on a record type)

Allow Revisions.

If this is enabled (again I think its on by default on the record type) then also check if users also have the document delete purge permission. If they do then a user could checkin a blank document as the lastest revision and then finalise it and choose to remove previous revisions. (I think Information workers have this permission as a default)

TOTinQLD
Super Contributor.
Solution

We have a separate tab on the record entry form called 'Request for Deletion'... the end user completes the details and the Administrator picks this up by Searching for 'Request for Deletion' (a User Defined Field) = Yes... then the Administrator places in a Container/Folder that has Access Control set whereby only the Administrator can see the records contained.

H_W_Y
Contributor.

Thanks TOTinQLD, that's great we have copied that setup and its working well. I have contacted Kapish about getting a delete option (that can be automated) but there was a lot of pressure from higher up to get a solution ASAP and this fits the bill perfectly.

Cheers,

Michael

TOTinQLD
Super Contributor.

Michael,

I've just read your response... "...getting a delete option (that can be automated)..."  and it's made me (and probably most people in Records/Archiving) twitch nervously... Deleting records should only be done by Administrators, after reviewing retention schedule, and never automated... too much room for error!

Glad the 'Request for Deletion' tab is working for you.

Cheers,

Bernadette

Icehouse
Super Contributor.

Hey Bernadette,

There are solutions out there for "soft" deleting TRIM records.

The one I wrote asks the user for a reason (they can type one if settings allow, or select from a pre-defined list of reasons), then the record is simply hidden from all non-admins.

The admins can then run a saved search to find these hidden records, see the selected reason and then make a proper records decision on what to do.

This one also instantly hides the record from the users, no waiting around worrying "what if someone else edits it before the admins remove it".

TOTinQLD
Super Contributor.

G'day Icehouse,

I'm not a programmer... just a lowly Records Administrator ;)

I do my 'housekeeping' daily and the records 'Marked for Deletion' get picked up fairly quickly. If you look at the PDF attached to my 1st post (the one marked as the 'Solution' above), you'll see the users do have to nominate a reason for the deletion... from a pre-defined list (note the drop-down list box button) or they can type a reason.

I like them to stop think about why they are nominating the record for deletion.

My recent comment was more about automating a 'Delete' not automating a 'Mark for Deletion'.

BTW - I also shared my solution ;)

Cheers,

Bernadette