Client Support
cancel

Active audit events saved somewhere when using RM8.1 towards HP TRIM 7.3.4 server ?

Highlighted
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Active audit events saved somewhere when using RM8.1 towards HP TRIM 7.3.4 server ?

Win 7, HP RM 8.11.7760 SQL 2008-R2

Any way that active audit events are saved somewhere when using RM8.1 towards HP TRIM 7.3.4 server

Anywhere at all?

Someone give me a good news?

If HP TRIM 7.3.4. database is accessed via RM8.1.1 7760 client and a certain document's metada / electronic document or settings are changed , is there a way to find out the changes, details, who when?

Anywhere in the system?

Thanks

15 REPLIES
raynebc
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Active audit events saved somewhere when using RM8.1 towards HP TRIM 7.3.4 server ?

Have you tried looking in:

?:\HPTRIM\ServerData\TRIM\[DBID]\AuditLogs

Where ? is whatever drive Trim decided to use to install this folder.

CousinVinnie
Contributor.

Re: Active audit events saved somewhere when using RM8.1 towards HP TRIM 7.3.4 server ?

Hi PerthRM8,

There are 2 audit logs in TRIM/RM, online audit log and offline audit log.

Online audit log can be access when you right click on the record, select Detail -> active audit events.

Offline audit log can be found on Workgroup Server which is responsible for audit log. It should be under <drive>:\HP TRIM\Serverlocaldata\TRIM\<DBID> for TRIM 7.34 server

In both cases, you have to make sure that you have select the audit events which associate with each record type before TRIM/RM will start logging audit events. You could check it under Audit Tab in Record Type Properties.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Vincent

PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Good morning,

Thank you,

I just tested and it is a good news. (half way)

We are safe in regards whether the corporation has logs/ audit events history of the document's modifications etc; however, these are not in the TRIM database ?? They are in the Online logs folder ....

Currently, in HP TRIM does not show these changes/events when clicking on "Browse active audit events".

LOGS IN TRIM (third party application) shows these events perfectly, from both clients ...

Ok, better something thank nothing.

Thanks

Neil Summers
Acclaimed Contributor.

As far as I can tell the active audit events aren't written to the database when using an 8.x client with a 7.3x workgroup server. There were some pretty significant changes in HPRM to the way audit events are stored in the database, including a change to the table these events are stored in.

So you'll need to upgrade the WGS and database schema to HPRM 8 before the recording of these active audit events (from 8.x clients) will work.

The saving grace is at least the changes to records still appear to be recorded in the offline audit log (assuming you've got that configured and enabled in 7.3).

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

(Please state the version of CM you're using in all posts.

HPE Software Support Online (SSO): https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/
PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks,

you mean now? ("need to upgrade the WGS and database schema to HPRM 8 before the recording of these active audit events (from 8.x clients) will work.")

The database to be HPRM8.1 while 3500 users are using HP TRIM 734?

Is this really possible?

Regards

Neil Summers
Acclaimed Contributor.

You'll need those 3500 clients on 8.1.1 first ;-)

The backwards compatibility for mixed environments was only ever designed to be used for a short period (e.g. a few days or so) while you pushed out the new client to all the users. In the meantime, you'll have to live with not having 100% of the functionality of HPRM.

I must admit I wasn't aware of the active audit events not being generated, and the HPRM user not being able to view existing active audit events in this mixed-version scenario until you posed the question.

Neil

Note: Any posts I make on this forum are my own personal opinion and (unless explicitly stated) do not constitute a formal commitment on behalf of HPE.

JasonIMEX
Outstanding Contributor.

Yes due to the Schema upgrade the table name that holds the active audit logs has changed.

Even recreating this table in the database will not work..

PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

So, you guys are telling me that there is no way to "incorporate" these "missing" online logs items somehow into any database, current HP TRIM 73.4. (SQL 2008-R2) one or the future HP RM8.1.1.7760 one? (SQL - Server 2012-R2)

Final answer?

Locking in!

Thanks anyway.

Rich_Kid
Outstanding Contributor.

There is a way, ( but you might not like it :-) as it involves an SDK application .. )

before you upgrade for 7.x to 8.x you read the offline audit log and identify the events that need to be added and then you add them using an SDK application that uses the ImportHistory method on the Record object.

PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

So, there is a way,

Thank you Rich man, for helping poor and unfortunate:-)

Any way of doing that with TRIMPORT / DATAPORT ?

Or that has to be newly written / existing SDK app?

regards

Rich_Kid
Outstanding Contributor.

I think you can with TrimPort which would be the tool you woudl use to import the history in to your 7.x Dataset before you update to 8.x

In a Tab delimited text file you would need two columns

Expanded Number

Movement History

Each record has one row

Obviously the Expanded number of the record you are updating is in the Expanded Number column

The Movement History has the event information you want in a string where each event is delimited by a "|" character (pipe) and each field in the event is delimited by a semi colon ";"

if you want to try this, I would suggest TrimPorting out a range of records and looking at how the Movement History is formatted.

PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

This sound logical.

Although, the selection of the logs/audit events looks problematic to be achieved ....

Not sure how the audit line/rows  e.g. 25, 26, 27, 69, 70 from online audit logs (spread into dayly logs text files 20 MB or so) will be imported in the chronological order in the TRIM 734 SQL server 2008-r2 database to be also viewed through HP TRIM in chronological order... how sure we are that it will happen exactly how we want it..

I am experienced with TRIMPORT and DATAPORT but not sure here how the final look of the logs would be?

Also, a Question: is this possible to be done afterwards, as we are going to be  very busy on the upgrade day with manual global settings recreation, system options etc ....

Thanks

Rich_Kid
Outstanding Contributor.

I'm sure that parsing the offline logs to extract the audit info you want to add to the online logs will be a nice challenge for you!

Because you are setting the event date they logs appear consistent when viewed in HP TRIM

They made a lot of changes to the Auditing in HPRM (all for the better, so well done HP) so I'm not sure how well this would work if you do it after the migration, using the HPRM 8 tools.

I would definetly try and do it as part of the pre-migration steps. One you have your process to parse the offline logs then a week before cutover you could migrate Audit information from the offline logs in to your 7.x database (which hopefully is the bulk of them, and then the night before cutover add the last 6 days, so that on cutover day you only migarting the last days audit history.

Neil Summers
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi all,

You may be pleased to know that HP had a change of heart and fixed this in the latest HPRM 8.1.1 release (Patch 2, build 7898 - released yesterday). If an 8.1.1.7898 client connects to a 7.3 WGS, it will write updates to the online audit log, and be able to view the online audit log from the old 7.3 database schema.

So I recommend anyone upgrading from HP TRIM 7.x to HPRM 8 use at least 8.1.1.7898 (Patch 2). As always, HP recommends using a mixed version environment such as 7.3/8.x for only the shortest possible period to allow you to first upgrade all clients to the latest version. The server and database schema should then also be upgraded to the latest version ASAP.

Neil

PerthRM8
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks, this is a good news, bit late for us :-)

Anyway, our HP RM 8.1 rollout has been posponed for a month due to integration issues with some other app.

Regards