cancel

6.24 to 7.1.1 upgrade question

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Eden Ravenwood
Respected Contributor.

6.24 to 7.1.1 upgrade question

Hi, We are planning an upgade as the title says from 6.24 to 7.1.1.  At the same time we will be chaning the OS that the workgroup server runs on from server 2003 32bit to server 2008 64bit.  So this will not be an in place upgrade but rather 7.1.1 will be installed on a new VM while the existing 6.24 server is still live. 

My question is can the new 7.1.1 workgroup server be added to the existing environment via the enterprise studio and then the 6.24 server removed and finally the database be upgraded?

6 REPLIES
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: 6.24 to 7.1.1 upgrade question

You will get errors if you try mixing the 6.2.X and 7.1.1 servers in the same config.

It's not a valid upgrade method and I would advise against it.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

I'm curious why you'd want to do this? If you've got a new VM for the upgraded version, you should stop the TRIM services on it (disable them really), copy the database (back it up as well), point the new server to the newly copied database, upgrade it, and bring online the new server.

This way if the upgrade goes pearshaped you can just bring the old server back online with the old database.
Eden Ravenwood
Respected Contributor.

In an environment that has multiple 6.2.4 workgroup/event processing servers does this mean that you could/should not upgrade one of the servers to 7.1.1 without first removing all the other servers from the environment?

Also can you point me toward any documentation rergarding supported upgrade paths?

Thanks Eden

Eden Ravenwood
Respected Contributor.

I considered this as an option as it seemed to minimise downtime to a minumum and I had recently done a rebuild of one of our workgroup servers this way which was very starightforward, simply removing the existing entry for it from TES rebuilding with a vanilla install of trim and then adding back into the environment via TES and deploying the environment config.  It made me think that maybe that same method could be used for the upgrade.  Unfortunately not, oh well.

EWillsey
Acclaimed Contributor.

In my all past upgrades I've disabled all trim components on all servers. Then on the primary server I uninstall TRIM v6, install v7 and go through the upgrade instructions. Once that server has everything running properly, I go uninstall v6 from the other server, install v7, and then to TES and hit deploy. Time wise this does not take very long (maybe an hour?). Kick off DCi reindex last cause that'll take a while.

As mentioned by Grundy if you try and mix v6 and v7 you'll end up with error.
raynebc
Outstanding Contributor.

Pay very close attention to your schema upgrade log.  This process was buggy in some versions of Trim 6.x to the point where it would fail to drop a SQL table, some foreign constraints, etc.  If you can't get your hands dirty with the database side of things to correct these problems manually, it might be worth you upgrading your main WG server and schema to a late 6.x release like 6.2.5 and then upgrade to 7.  It could save you some pain and suffering.