cancel

2 questions - Data Integrity check & Outlook renditions vmbx and msg

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Delete_or_Not
Super Contributor.

2 questions - Data Integrity check & Outlook renditions vmbx and msg

Win 7, HP TRIM 7.1.1828 and MS Office 2010 is the current environment.

Are there any limitiation in the number of errors that HP TRIM Data Integrity check log shows and did anyone had similar experience, for example that the log is broken, not finished? It happens here every time when the number of missing documents/renditions from the store  is quite large(more than 200 or so).

Was this reported before to HP?

Is there any significance/danger (lost information/data) in registering only the msg rendition of the MS Outlook message, contrary how HP TRIM is normaly do, registering the vmbx and msg part when cataloging the message?

Thanks

4 REPLIES
Grundy
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: 2 questions - Data Integrity check & Outlook renditions vmbx and msg

Are you talking about a Document Store Integrity Check?

I dont remember there being a limit to the number of error, but it has been a while since I ran one with a lot of problem documents.

No risk if you drag/drop MSG emails into TRIM.

We capture the entire MSG with attachments.

::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT A HP EMPLOYEE
::::::::::::::::::::::

INFORMOTION.com.au
Delete_or_Not
Super Contributor.

Yes, the Document Store check. We do these checks regularly as we have millions of documents. If there are many missing revisions, renditions, or documents of a certain record type, HP TRIM Data Integrity Check will "crash" /  stop listing them, meaning, "I had enough, there are just to many errors, I will break my report here" .... that is what is always hapening ... Once the errors are investigated and fixed, and the Integrity check starts again, it display new lot of 200 errors or so.. Obviously, HP TRIM / or the system can not handle this very well...or I am wrong?

MSG/VMBX .... - What I meant to ask is this: are there any "valuable" information lost if we register just msg part of the message, not the vmbx part ?  How this can influence future : searches, exporting, or whatever else? Has anyone noticed the disadvantage of registering just "msg"?

Regards

Sander Hoogwerf
Outstanding Contributor.
Solution

We long time ago gave up on the integrity check within TRIM. Instead we've creates a custom script (Oracle). This way, we have complete overview showing all inconsistencies:

• All files in TRIM that are not in the Docstore
  • Inconsistent filesize
  • All files that are in the Docstore, but not in TRIM.
  • Recordnumber in case it involves revisions (instead of useless revision uri)
  • Specifics about non-records (instead "one of the" reports)

Surprisingly, there are quite a few files in the Docstore, but not in TRIM.

For your MSG/VMBX question. If I recall correctly, previously, the MSG format was a closed format. A couple years back the EU forced Microsoft to release specifications of several formats including MSG everyone can write tools to view MSG files. Before that you would need Outlook to view MSG files. Therfore, TRIM would have an option to render a VMBX file during cataloging into TRIM, so even after many years (when Outlook may not be available anymore), you can still read the contents of the e-mails.

In the VMBX rendering you will loose any formatting of the e-mail, but the contents is still there.

Only problem is live embedded content from the internet is not included in the VMBX, but also the MSG file itself won't show data that was since removed from of relocated on the internet.

(Any opinions expressed in this forum are my own personal opinion and should not be construed as an official statement by DXC Technology.)

Analytics & Data Management
Application & Business Services
DXC Technology
Delete_or_Not
Super Contributor.

Thanks Sander,

much appreciated.

I already raised the isse of creating the SQL Report that will show all documents with the HP TRIM number but without the electronic document in store.

And, thanks for the info in regrads to msg vs vmbx issue. I will pass this to my team to discuss it.

Regards