Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
cancel

biosconfigutility syntax with multiple current passwords?

Highlighted
dvuser
Regular Contributor.

biosconfigutility syntax with multiple current passwords?

All of our computers do nothave the same bios passwords.  Some have the password set and some still have no password because they are new systems out of the box or just never had the password set for whatever reason.

Is there some way to do replicated setup in an automated way and have it try multiple current passwords and not assume that the password is always blank or assume that the password is always not blank and then fail otherwise?

For instance, if the password has already been set, continue using that password to do the replicated setup and if the password is blank then change it to the current password and then do the replicated setup?

4 REPLIES
richard429
Super Contributor.

Re: biosconfigutility syntax with multiple current passwords?

if there is a mix of systems where group A has a common password and group B does not have a password, then you can run the following

BiosConfigUtility.exe  /cspwd:""  /cspwd:"current_plaintext_password"  /setconfig:"repsetfile.txt"

if you wish to replicate the setup AND apply a new common password at the same time, run the following

BiosConfigUtility.exe  /cspwd:""  /cspwd:"current_password"  /nspwd:"new_password"  /setconfig:"repset_file.txt"

after this, all systems having either a blank password or the current password will now have the new password.

Note that it is possible to set the password to itself, so  the current password and new password can be the same which is why this command works.

some system BIOSes may not require the blank password as a current password. 

I use it because i know it works and to be consistent with clearing the password as shown below

BiosConfigUtility.exe  /cspwd:"current_password"   /npswd:""

Versions 2.50 and up of BiosConfigUtility have a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version.

Both versions are installed regardless of the OS being run.

The 32 bit version is BiosConfigUtility.exe

The 64 bit versoin is BiosConfigUtility64.exe

dvuser
Regular Contributor.

Were can I find the latest version of biosconfigutility?

I do not see any separate 32 bit and 64-bit versions in the software I have.

Pravs
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

This utility is installed along with the agent itself. The binaries are copied inside ../SSM folder at the same level as the ../Agent folder. You can check with support if at all there is any updated version corresponding to the HPCA version you are using, else the MR version should work fine.

You can also create a ZSERVICE which can be deployed to all the clients.

The ZCREATE method for the service is “biosconfig.tcl -cspwd “<XXXXXXXX>" -nspwd "<XXXXXX>”

During the deployment, “biosconfig.tcl”, creates “biosconfig.cmd” which contains the command “"C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\SSM\BiosConfigUtility.exe" /cspwd:"XXXX" /nspwd:"XXXXX"”.

YOu can modify the command line as per the requirement and also as per suggested by Richard.

-Praveen

richard429
Super Contributor.

The latest version of the bcu and other tools are at

http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/us/en/down-library.html