ZSTOP EXPRESSION

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

ZSTOP EXPRESSION

Dear All,

Regarding topic in http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1027288

I would like to ask about ZSTOP001 Expression used by Marko.

What does this mean?
(POS('PATCH',UPPER(EDMGETV(ZMASTER,ZDOMNAME))) =1 | POS('PATCHMGR',EDMGETV(PATCHOBJ,FDCI))>0)

I would like to know why he can solve his problem with this expression, How about mine if I'm not using it. Will there any problem later?

Thanks,
Eric
6 REPLIES
Roy O Gatewood_
Acclaimed Contributor.
Solution

Re: ZSTOP EXPRESSION

It means that unless the radskman command line includes dname=PATCH and the PATCHMGR domain is present STOP resolution.

You want this expression on all PATCH Services.
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Roy,

So if we did not use dname=patch, then they will not do anything related with PATCHMGR right?

Could you point me to guide regarding to this expression. I think I need to know more how to make this expression to tune other service.

My other services under domain like AUDIT and USAGE did not use this expression. Is this why when I run notify using dname=software they run updates on services under AUDIT and USAGE domain?

Correct Me If I'm Wrong.

Thanks,
Eric
Marko_
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Eric.

Check your Policy Manager pm.cfg. There you should have the lines like:
DEFAULT_DOMAIN SOFTWARE
DNAME=* { * !OS !PATCHMGR}
DNAME=OS { OS }
DNAME=PATCH { PATCHMGR }
This tells you what dname would point to what domains in Radia DB at least for retreiving the policy for a connected machine.
Also, along with the ZSTOP used in PATCHMGR domain which is mandatory as it is, you should also have similar ZSTOPs in other domains like SOFTWARE,AUDIT,Usage, all having the same ZSTOP:
UPPER(EDMGETV(ZMASTER,ZDOMNAME))<>'PATCH'
or
UPPER(EDMGETV(ZMASTER,ZDOMNAME))='SOFTWARE'
All this is envolved when processing services.
I'm not so experienced in Radia but this all came out of my own troubleshooting experience.
I'm affraid, the new ZSTOP used for PATCH is not mentioned in the migration guide for new patch manger and this also gave me a lot of trouble. I found out about this through a support case. There is a tech note about that: OV-EN018632 Controlling Resolution of Radia Patch Manager Services

HTH
P.S. It would be kind of you to assign some points to people who help you. I noticed you seldom do that :)
Eric P_2
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Marko,

Thanks for relating me to the tech guide. It is very useful.

Is there any reference to learn how to create that expression?
I still not sure what POS, UPPER, EDMGETV, ZMASTER.ZDOMNAME mean....

Thanks for reminding me about points. I just walk back through my previous question and add points. Never mean to not giving points to who have helped me.

Thanks,
Eric
Marko_
Acclaimed Contributor.

Sadly,
i didn't find anything about those parts of the ZSTOP and what they mean, the tech note only says you SHOULD use it but no more specific explanation i could find...

thanks 4 the points, sorry about that :)
Regards
Moaeed Sajid
Outstanding Contributor.

Eric,

The zstop expressions are written in Rexx. ZMASTER,ZDOMNAME is reading the ZDOMNAME variable from the ZMASTER object sent up to the RCS.

There is a Rexx programmin guide in the document repository http://ovweb.external.hp.com/lpe/doc_serv/ under Radia --> Version 3.x --> Windows.

Hope this helps,

Moaeed Sajid