cancel

XP SP2 patching

Highlighted
archana_shyamsu
Super Contributor.

XP SP2 patching

Hi All,

I need to apply KB's to machines. I have acquired the KB and it sits on the machines but its not getting installed. These KB are for SP3 from MS.

Regards
Archana
5 REPLIES
SreejaEJ
Valued Contributor.

Re: XP SP2 patching

Hi,

Could you please upload the patch connect log.

It may be possible that these KB articles are not applicable for the particular machine. You could check the patch connect log and check for the particular log entry - "KBXXX - risks have been detected" or "KBXXX - no risks detected" or "KBXXX - not applicable."

archana_shyamsu
Super Contributor.

Hi,

I've attached the connect.log. Icant find any risks for the KBXXX. Please advise.
archana_shyamsu
Super Contributor.

I'm looking at the patch compliance reports some of them have risks have been detected and are seen under Not patched.

What do the errorers mean? Risks have been detected, Risks have not been detected and not applicable.

MS-KB979306 LCNU6310B1G Windows Update Rollups (KB979306) PATCH RISK Bulletin MS-KB979306 - risks have been detected
archana_shyamsu
Super Contributor.

Hi,

Can anyone please advise how to proceed with Risk has been detected error in the patch log.

SreejaEJ
Valued Contributor.

Risks detected implies that the KBXX is applicable. That is, if the bulletin is entitled then the bulletin will be patched.

No Risks implies that the bulletin is already pactehd with the required binary.

Also while entitling ensure that the FINALIZE_PATCH service is also entitled. This is the service that actually installs the bulletins that are entitled and that is applicable.

For more details related to the working of the Patch Manager please read the User Guide .