Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
cancel

VPM Patch Repository empty

Highlighted

VPM Patch Repository empty

I have installed VPM on my CMS server in our test centre (which has no internet access).
I installed the acquisition utility on a workstation with internet access. I performed an initial acquisition last Friday (May 6 - had to leave it running through the weekend), and again Monday am to ensure I had all updates. I copied the entire C:\VPM\data structure and contents from the workstation to a USB drive, and then copied the data directory contents to E:\HPSim\VPM\radia\IntegrationServer\data.
I verified the correct settings in HPSim, and performed the Options-> VPM-> Acquire Updates.

When I go to Diagnose-> VPM-> View Patch Repository, it reports there are no patches in the repository.

I have enclosed the patch-acquire.log file from the server.

The one entry that jumps out at me is:
Error: couldn't open "E:/HPSim/VPM/radia/IntegrationServer/data/patch/hp_vpm/versions.xml": no such file or directory.
I checked on the workstation, and the file is not there either.

Any suggestions?
16 REPLIES
Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

Re: VPM Patch Repository empty

in your hp_vpm directory you should have 2 or 3 files - versions.xml (always), HarrisUpdate.exe and/or VulnUpdate.exe.

I just ran a test acquisition and did acquire all three files in my hp_vpm directory. These files update the scan engine and scan definition files.

Did you have any errors in the c:\program files\hp\vpm acquisition utility\logs\acquire-log.log on the acquisition system?
Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

Since VPM is an HP SIM plug-in, we usually monitor the "Management software and system tools | HP SIM tools and scripts"
forum for VPM questions. Sorry for the late response. If you are still having issues, please post a reply.

Thanks for the response Jennifer. I wasn't sure where VPM issues belonged (I did a search of the forums, and found the Open-View VPM, but didn't think it applied)

I couldn't get anywhere with the updates, so we started looking at other products, and I uninstalled the VPM on the CMS, and the download utility on my Internet connected PC (I have a disconnected/isolated LAN I am monitoring).

I'll re-install the download utility, and try again. I'll post another response to this post tomorrow with the acquire-log.log attached. (Unless you would rather I close this thread and open a new one in the "HPSim tools and scripts" forum?)

BTW: Otherwise, we're very happy with HP Systems Insight Manager. We have a predominantly HP Proliant shop (with a dozen or so SUN Solaris).
Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

Post a reply here and let me know what you find out. I'm not sure which OS version you are using, so I will warn you that we have seen installation and operation issues on Windows 2003 SP1 which will be fixed in a soon to be released version.
Bernardo Tagari
Regular Collector

Could you also indicate what patches you requested to pull down?

I would have recommended something simple to start with, like just windows 2003, in english.

What settings for patch acquistion did you request?

tag
Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

We just discovered an issue with the way Microsoft released their new patches yesterday. VPM acquisition is temporarily blocked from downloading patches until we make some code changes or Microsoft corrects the patch feed.

I will post a message when we have the situation addressed.
Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

Pat, we can actually test your issue by completing a patch acquisition where you do not select any windows operating systems. If you don't select an OS, the VPM acquisition will acquire only the scan updates.

I have attached the Patch-acquire.log file from the internet connected PC. There is no acquire-log.log file.

I checked the VPM\Data\patch\hp_vpm directory, and it is empty. No files whatsoever.

I had to run the download twice. The first time, the VPM directory (and subdirectories) was only about 450Mb. After the second attempt, it's 1.04Gb.
Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

You are getting blocked on downloading from hp.com. Are you internal to HP or blocking HP?

You are getting an http 410 which means the requested resource is no longer available at the server. That doesn't make sense.

Can you get to the site https://www.hp.com/pub/essentials/vpm/versions.xml from a browser window using the same proxy settings you use for VPM?

You are getting patches from Microsoft and the Novadign (which is also hosted from hp.com)

Is there a ISA server involved in going outside your firewall?

When i tried to directly access the versions.xml file, I received the folling web-page (see atteched jpg).

Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

It looks like one of the hp.com mirror servers is missing the vpm content. I will log a ticket with the hp.com support group.
Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

The hp.com server that was causing the problem has been removed from rotation. Please try again and let me know what happens.
Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

Microsoft has fixed changed the data feed and it no longer causes issues for VPM 1.10 download so there is no longer a need for a VPM update for VPM 1.10.

Have you been able to complete a full acquisition since we removed the faulty hp.com server?

I attempted another download yesterday. The hp_vpm directory was still empty. The same certificate error was recorded in the patch-acquire.log file (attached).

I manually went to the versions.xml file (copy/pasted the URL from the .log file) with a browser, and was successful. I saved it to the hp_vpm directory, and then manually downloaded the HarrisUpdate.exe and VulnUpdate.exe files to the hp_vpm directory.

I am now going to re-install VPM on my Systems Insight Manager server, and let you know.
Jennifer_74
Regular Collector

The problematic server has been pulled from service again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

We have decided to give up on the VPM component. I am unable to re-install VPM on my HPSim CMS. I am running Windows 2003 Server with SP1. The install keeps hanging when attempting to install the Radia portion. I had had this issue when I first attempted all this a few months ago, and at that time installing to a brand new server without SP1, and then upgrading after the install - this is no longer an option.

Late note:
As I was typing this message, I received the following HP Support Alert:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EM050607_CW01
This confirms our decision, since we are not willing to cripple our server in this fashion for a single component of a single application running on our main "utility" server.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event