Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
cancel

Software deployment problems

Highlighted
Aerts
Regular Contributor.

Software deployment problems

Hey all,

I just installed HP OV Configuration management, so I'm very new to the program.

First of all I have some problems by remotely deploying the agent to the clients, had to do this manually. Seeing I'm working in a rather small test environment this isn't a real problem, though it would start to form a huge problem if we decide to buy this package and deploy it in our company.

Second problem I encounter is that my software is published to the client, where I then can manually install the software. However I want my software to deploy automaticly.. Anyone who can help me with this?

Regards,
Dimitri
12 REPLIES
Roy O Gatewood_
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Software deployment problems

Not sure about your client deployment issues. There are lots of ways to get that done from GPO installs to RMP remote installations.
Not sure what you're saying when you say "published to the client". If this is an MSI application then using the Publisher should have done if for you if not then use the ZCREATE method on the Service to run the installation script etc.
I'd surely review the client connect log to see what occured during your attempt to install the software.
Aerts
Regular Contributor.

Roy,

HP OV doesn't install my agents on my clients, there is that option to do it remotely from within HPOV, though that doesn't seem to work.

Second problem I had was that when you publish software, it shows up on the client where you have to manually click it to install it. There is howerer also an option to deploy software. Deploying software doesn't work. The client machines do nothing when I give the command to deploy, for example, office.

Though, the same office can be installed when publishing it and then manually clicking it.

Hope this clarifies my problem a bit more.

I've also checked the log file on the client. There isn't really anthing inthere that seems usefull to me.

Regards
Roy O Gatewood_
Acclaimed Contributor.

Let me see if I can clarify some things.
If you are using OVCM then you must publish the application, entitle it and initiate some client connect activity for it to get there and install.
If you are using OVCCM itâ s a pretty similar process.
There is also a difference on how it functions if you use the Self-Service Manager.
Have you taken any training? Try reading the Getting Started Guide and the Essentials Guide.
Aerts
Regular Contributor.

Haven't taken any training since I'm doing an investigation to all possible software that allows remote deployment of other software packages.

I'm using OpenView Client Configuration manager.

I got the CM application self-service Manager installed on my client.

So publishing the software works, on the client side it pops up in the agent where I can click it.

However if I try to deploy software (push software from my server to my client) it does nothing.

So, again, publishing it and then manually clicking the install button on my client pc works.

Remotely deploying it without any interaction doesn't work.

Basicly what I want is that I give the order at my server to deploy software to some clients and that they just do it without any interaction from me.
Aerts
Regular Contributor.

Ok I got a small update on deploying the clients thru HP OV.

In the job details it says:
"rma install job ended. rc:ok; result is: rma {{rma installed}}"

On the machine where I try to install the client I find this in the eventvwr of windows:

"The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( rma ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service Starting."
Aerts
Regular Contributor.

Another interesting update. When deploying software I find this in the client's logs:

NVD111111V [start_Communica] 11:11:53 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --- CONNECTING TO THE CONFIGURATION SERVER
NVD111111V [zstart_communic] 11:11:53 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --- Attempting to connect to SAP [RADIA_DEFAULT]
NVD111111V [zstart_communic] 11:11:53 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --- SAP [RADIA_DEFAULT] No throttling
NVD009307E [mtp_open ] 11:11:53 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --! [EC(00DCE1FC)]: gethostbyname failed for VTBVABSERVER.se
NVD000001W [zstart_communic] 11:11:53 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --? Failed to connect to [tcp:VTBVABSERVER.server.dns.com:3464] SAP [RADIA_DEFAULT]
NVD111111V [start_Communica] 11:11:53 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --- ERROR CONNECTING TO THE CONFIGURATION SERVER
NVD111111V [RADCONCT ] 11:11:53 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --- RADCONCT exit status [200]
NVD111111V [RADCONCT ] 11:11:53 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --- RADCONCT [Radia was unable to perform the requested action - due to a network connection failure with the manager. Please contact your system administrator for assistance.]
NVD000010A [radconnect_term] 11:11:53 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --- RADCONCT Return Code [200]
NVD000010I [radical ] 11:11:54 [RADCONCT / 00000940] SYSTEM --- End UI session message [200]

The gethostbyname failed immediatly drew my attention
Roy O Gatewood_
Acclaimed Contributor.

RMA isnâ t part of this software installation issue.
The message you should be concerned with is RADCONCT Return Code [200]. This means your client canâ t talk to the CCM infrastructure.
Iâ m not up to speed on CCM but if you can deploy the software via Self-Service manager then the Service is set to Optional.
To deploy directly it must be set to Mandatory. Iâ m not sure you can do that with CCM?
Aerts
Regular Contributor.

About what service are we talking here? You lost me with your post there :(
Aerts
Regular Contributor.

My guess is that you're referring to the MSOFFICE_PRO (trying to deploy MS office 2K3) service. I do not have a clue where to set that as mandatory tho.

Also what concerns me is that little word: SAP. Does HP OV CCM need a SAP server / database infrastructre somewhere to run properly?

Seeing my company doesn't have a SAP server...
Roy O Gatewood_
Acclaimed Contributor.

Youâ ve guessed correctly
SAP stands for Server Access Profiles. Without a long dissertation it all refers to the OVCCM infrastructure.
The log snippet indicates the agent couldnâ t contact the infrastructure.
Roy O Gatewood_
Acclaimed Contributor.

It works using Self-Service Manager.
To deploy it other wise I gather you must use the Software Deployment Wizard as described on page 167 of the Guide.
Are you using Premium or Standard licensing?
Aerts
Regular Contributor.

at the moment I'm just using the trial version of the software.

I'm doing an analisys of all the possible software that allows remote distribution.