Publishing software under CAS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Publishing software under CAS

Hi All,

I need your help urgently regarding publishing of softwares which are having cd key under CAS. Please let me know how to publish these kind of softwares.

Is there any other procedure to do it so that it wont ask any cd key if it getting installed under client systems.

Waiting for your reply @ the earliest

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
23 REPLIES
Manohark
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Publishing software under CAS

Hi Bharat,

While publishing the application use the AIP mode of publishing with advanced mode where the application will be installed on the packaging machine in the AIP folder you specified which will take up the CD key number and will publish the application to the CSDB.

Now if the application is assigned to the users or machines the installation will not ask for the CD key.

Thanks
Manohar
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Manohar,

As I am new to this product, can u pls tell me wht is AIP, & also pls provide me the step by procedure for publishing softwares having CD key.

Waiting for ur reply @ the earliest....

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
Manohark
Outstanding Contributor.

Hi Bharat,

You will have to use the Admin publisher tool to publish the applications which are in .msi format. After logging into the tool the first installation window will ask you of the application to publish select the application and click next the next screen will give the option of API. Prior to this in C drive or D drive of your machine you have to create an empty folder and name it as the application name. In the API folder box enter the path for the folder that you created and click next the application installation will initialize and the application will be installed onto the folder that you created. In the process it will ask for the CD key and stores it in the object. On following the wizard you will be able to publish the application to the CSDB. Depending on the size of the application the time for the publication may vary.

Thanks
Manohar
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Manohar, Thanks for info....this is how i am publishing the software, kindly find the attached doc for the same.

I am using CAS 7.20

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
Manohark
Outstanding Contributor.

HI Bharat,

In the third screen after choosing the file to install, select the option install instead of msiexec and try going forward.

Thanks
Manohar
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Manohar,

Thanks for the info.... sorry....In third screen I didn't find any options like install, only tow options are there, use setup & usemsiexec. Please can u expalin me a little more.

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
Manohark
Outstanding Contributor.

HI Bharat,

I was talking about the setup option to proceed for an installation which will ask for the CD key and capture it. Will publish it to the CSDB for assigning to the user

thanks
Manohar
Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Manohark,

Please check the forum to which you are responding. This is a CA STANDARD issue. with CAS you only have limited MSI publishing options!!!

BHARATH,

When you publish the app you will see on the main screen the Properties option. You can see this on the fourth screen shot in the doc file you uploaded.
If you client on the Properties option you can enter some of the advanced MSI properties and here you will see PIDKEY. Try entering the license key here.

And the following is from the CAS guide...
Properties
View and modify the msi file properties. Some Windows Installer files may require additional command line parameters to deploy correctly. For example, an application may require a custom property to pass a serial number during installation. Use the Properties dialog to include any additional parameters.

Additionally you can also publish an MST with the package and you can set the desired MSI properties in the MST.

Hope this helps.

Karl.
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Manohar,

But once you select .msi installation option, it will not allow me to select the setup option. It will take .msiexec as default. Kindly let me know how i can proceed on this.

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hmmm... did you see my response to this one?

Karl.
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Karlton,

I missed ur reply....thanks a lot for answering my query, but if i want to type organisation, name, company, how can i give the details, bcos as u said we can give license in the PIDKEY field.

Also clarify me one thing, i need to just copy the license (jskf-sdkf-ewre-sfsd) as it is. or i need to copy in different format.

I have one doubt, whether user needs to click next or it will install automatically without users interuption.

Waiting for ur reply @ the earliest....

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.

checkout the rest of the MSI property options; you'll see that Username and Companyname are already there PLUS you have the ability to ADD ones that are missing - so long as they are valie MSI properties for the app in question.

As for the user installing the app; they should not be prompted for any of these options.

Karl
Ben Sweetser
Honored Contributor.

Bharath,

If you are not sure what property to pass to an MSI installation to apply the license key, you can do the following:

On a test machine, run the MSI with the interface enabled (usually default) and verbose logging turned on. This is done by running the command:

msiexec /i pathToMsi\PackageName.msi /lv* c:\logname.txt

Install the application and then view the log with a text editor. All properties passed to the installation are listed at the end of the verbose log. You should be able to do a search on a portion of your license key to determine the public property that needs to be passed to apply the license (note: public properties (ones that can be passed on the command line) are denoted with names that are ALL CAPS). This will also help you determine other parameters that you may want to pass to the install, such as install location or other variables selected in the interface of the install.

If your installation is not Windows Installer based, you will need to refer to product documentation or the vendor website for information on how to apply the license key.

Ben
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Ben,

If I try to run the command on command prompt, i will the following message, which i have attached. Kindly find the attached screenshot, kindly let me know any other parameter has to be passed for this.

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.

try enclosing the long file name to the MSI in qoutes ""
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Karl/Ben

Still I am getting the same message. Kindly find the attached screenshot for the same.

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
Karl Skelton
Acclaimed Contributor.

it's /Lv* not /!v*
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Ben/Karl,

Thanks a lot for your good responses....

Log file is generated, but i could not able to make as Ben suggested, property values are all in upper case, cos there no. of words in upper letter. Kindly find the attached few property values. Kindly guide me how I can publish software based on these property values.

Waiting for your reply @ the earliest....

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
Ben Sweetser
Honored Contributor.

Bharath,

This is not nearly the number of properties I would expect to see. I can understand if you do not want to post the entire log, possibly with your license key, to the forum. Can you please zip it and email it to me at askben@hp.com? I will take a look and post the answer to the forum for others.

Thanks,
Ben
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Ben,

I have sent the logs to your email. Kindly check & please let me know if you require more information.

Thanks & Regards
Bharath
Ben Sweetser
Honored Contributor.
Solution

Hi Bharath,

The application with which you are working (Visio 2003) actually does use the PIDKEY property for the license. You should be able to test the silent installation outside of Client Automation by running the command line:

msiexec /i "pathToMsi\MsiName.msi" /qb! PIDKEY="YourLicenseWithoutDashes" ALLUSERS=1

the /qb! will run the installation silently and the ALLUSERS property installs the software "per machine"

just a note in the log: Microsoft hides the value of PIDKEY passed so that someone reading the log cannot extract a license key from it.

If this works, you should just need to specify the PIDKEY in the Properties section of the Publisher when publishing the MSI.

My only concern here is that you appear to be attempting to install a retail version of Visio, which is not generally supported for deployment to multiple systems. Your end users may be prompted to activate the software after installation, and you may be in violation of license agreements. When deploying software to multiple systems, you should be working with a volume installation and license key.

ben
bharath_hanuma
Super Contributor.

Hi Ben/Karl

Thanks a lot for your excellent response & solution provided. Ben, i have tested it got installed silently....whether this is the same case for all the softwares which are having cd key & for the .msi formats.

But I have one more concern where while publishing .exe format, there is no option to provide license key & also if it is published, it will defnitely asks for user to click next....

Kindly let me know how I can go ahead regarding this.

Thanks a ton....

Best Regards
Bharath
Ben Sweetser
Honored Contributor.

Bharath,

The process/property used by different vendors application installs will vary. Microsoft is generally pretty good about using PIDKEY. Other vendors use different public properties with their MSIs. Creating a verbose log and testing your install outside CAS are some helpful ways to get the appropriate properties and test that the install works the way you expect. If an application doesn't install silently and successfully with your parameters outside CAS, it certainly won't inside CAS.

As for non-MSIs, there are often ways to silently install them with the license key. Again, the commands or process used will vary. CAS allows you to specify the command line options to run to perform the install. The tricky part is determine what those options should be.

Ben