The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
The community will be in read-only from Tuesday 11:59pm (PST) to Wednesday 7:30am (PST)
Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem acquiring MS patches.

Highlighted
blurer
Regular Collector

Problem acquiring MS patches.

Hi Guys:
How come when I trying to acquired MS patches using the patch manager. I always faced the problem whereby either the patches is not download althought its stated completed or the MS0*-*** folder is download but no .exe file inside. Please advice. I am new to this software.

Thank in advance.
11 REPLIES

Re: Problem acquiring MS patches.

Hi,

What does the html file in IntegrationServer/logs/htmls/ say?
Please post the /IntegrationServer/logs/patch-acquire.log then we can see in detail..

Arno
Thompson, Jim
Honored Contributor

An easy mistake to make when you're setting up your acquisition is to assume that the list of products that is displayed is asking you which products you want to acquire patches for...

It's not...

It's an EXCLUSION list.

Did you by chance 'select all' on that screen when you created your acquisition command?
"Well...it depends..."
blurer
Regular Collector

Hi guys:

Here is the log file. Please take a look.

Thank You.
blurer
Regular Collector

Hi Jim:

I did not select the exclusion when acquire the patches.

Thank You.
Thompson, Jim
Honored Contributor

The log file that you sent shows that everything IS in fact excluded.

Look at the 4th line in your log file. The command line shows the following for your list of products. (The "!" character means "NOT".) So everything IS excluded.

Re-create or edit your ms.acq file and ensure that you are not EXCLUDING anything. Remember a checkmark in the box means 'EXCLUDE'.

-product {MICROSOFT::!.NET Framework*,MICROSOFT::!Access*,MICROSOFT::!BackOffice*,MICROSOFT::!BackOffice Server*,MICROSOFT::!BizTalk Server*,MICROSOFT::!Commerce Server*,MICROSOFT::!Content Management Server*,MICROSOFT::!Entourage*,MICROSOFT::!Excel*,MICROSOFT::!Exchange*,MICROSOFT::!Exchange Server*,MICROSOFT::!FrontPage*,MICROSOFT::!FrontPage Server Extensions*,MICROSOFT::!Greetings*,MICROSOFT::!Home Publishing*,MICROSOFT::!Host Integration Server*,MICROSOFT::!IE*,MICROSOFT::!ISA Server*,MICROSOFT::!Index Server*,MICROSOFT::!Indexing Services for Windows*,MICROSOFT::!InfoPath*,MICROSOFT::!Interix*,MICROSOFT::!Internet Explorer*,MICROSOFT::!Internet Information Server*,MICROSOFT::!Internet Information Services*,MICROSOFT::!MDAC*,MICROSOFT::!MSN*,MICROSOFT::!MSN Messenger*,MICROSOFT::!MSXML*,MICROSOFT::!Microsoft*,MICROSOFT::!Microsoft Commercial Internet System*,MICROSOFT::!Microsoft Metadirectory Services*,MICROSOFT::!Microsoft Routing and Remote Access Server for Windows NT*,MICROSOFT::!Microsoft SQL Server*,MICROSOFT::!Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac*,MICROSOFT::!Money*,MICROSOFT::!NET*,MICROSOFT::!NetMeeting*,MICROSOFT::!Office*,MICROSOFT::!Office Web Components*,MICROSOFT::!OneNote*,MICROSOFT::!Outlook*,MICROSOFT::!Outlook Express*,MICROSOFT::!Personal Web Server*,MICROSOFT::!Photo Draw*,MICROSOFT::!PictureIt*,MICROSOFT::!PowerPoint*,MICROSOFT::!Project*,MICROSOFT::!Project Server*,MICROSOFT::!Proxy Server*,MICROSOFT::!Publisher*,MICROSOFT::!SNA Server*,MICROSOFT::!SQL Server*,MICROSOFT::!SQL Server Desktop Engine (MSDE)*,MICROSOFT::!Services for Unix*,MICROSOFT::!SharePoint Team Services*,MICROSOFT::!Site Server*,MICROSOFT::!Small Business Server*,MICROSOFT::!Systems Management Server*,MICROSOFT::!VBA*,MICROSOFT::!Visio*,MICROSOFT::!Visual Basic*,MICROSOFT::!Visual FoxPro*,MICROSOFT::!Visual Studio*,MICROSOFT::!Windows Media Encoder*,MICROSOFT::!Windows Media Player*,MICROSOFT::!Windows Media Rights Manager*,MICROSOFT::!Windows Media Services*,MICROSOFT::!Windows Messenger*,MICROSOFT::!Windows NT Server*,MICROSOFT::!Windows NT Workstation*,MICROSOFT::!Windows Script*,MICROSOFT::!Windows Server*,MICROSOFT::!Windows Small Business Server*,MICROSOFT::!Word*,MICROSOFT::!Works*!Windows 95,!Windows 98*,!Windows Me,SUSE::!sles*-yast2,SUSE::!sles*-yast2-*,SUSE::!sles*-liby2*}
"Well...it depends..."
blurer
Regular Collector

Hi:

Thank for your prompt reply. Now I had include the settings, but I still face the same error.

Also when doing a requisition, when I click the status, I saw the following error:

20060221 13:55:17 HTTP while downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/d/b/0db2e5d7-0ba9-4856-b51f-db7c0b838c68/MSSecure_1033.CAB error : connect failed connection refused
20060221 13:55:17 Network error for http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/d/b/0db2e5d7-0ba9-4856-b51f-db7c0b838c68/MSSecure_1033.CAB attempt 1 limit 2
20060221 13:55:18 HTTP while downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/d/b/0db2e5d7-0ba9-4856-b51f-db7c0b838c68/MSSecure_1033.CAB error : connect failed connection refused
20060221 13:55:18 Network error for http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/d/b/0db2e5d7-0ba9-4856-b51f-db7c0b838c68/MSSecure_1033.CAB attempt 2 limit 2

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.
Thompson, Jim
Honored Contributor

There may be a network firewall blocking your access to those sites.

Check with the network administrator. You may need to configure an internet proxy in order to gain access to those sites.
"Well...it depends..."
blurer
Regular Collector

Hi Jim:

I had tested with or without proxy. The problem still the same. I got no problem download the .exe by clicking the direct link. But whenever I used RPM to acquired the file, this problem always occurs.

Do you guys face something similiar problem like my case?
Maybe meanwhile I will test on another area network settings.

Thank You.

Best regards.
Thompson, Jim
Honored Contributor

On the Patch Acquisition Server (the one with Patch Manager installed on it and not your admin machine), do the links work from Internet Explorer in both cases - when you've got a Proxy Configured and when you don't?

It's not good enough to set the Proxy in Windows or Internet Exlorer. You need to set it in the Patch.cfg file.

It needs to be in the format of:
http://ip:port

You can't use the URL format you'd use in the Automatic Configuration Script section. It needs to point to a specific Proxy and not an autoconfiguration script...and of course, the Proxy it points to has to be configured to allow access to the appropriate Microsoft and HP servers.

"Well...it depends..."
blurer
Regular Collector

Hi guys:

Thank You for your valuable information. Think most preperly its my network ebvironment settings. Meanwhile, I will close this thread.

Best Regards.
blurer
Regular Collector

Hi guys:

Thank You for your valuable information. Think most preperly its my network ebvironment settings. Meanwhile, I will close this thread.

Best Regards.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event