The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
The community will be in read-only from Monday 11:59pm (PT) to Wednesday 7:30am (PT)
Client Automation Standard Practitioners Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patch agent download not completed

Highlighted
Eric P_2

Patch agent download not completed

Dear All,

Actually this problem still related to my previous message, but in previous post I was giving wrong information from the beginning, so I think I made quite a mess.

This is my actual problem:

When downloading patch agent update, I think we are connecting to "http://managementsoftware.hp.com/Radia/patch_management/data/" then we will download all files listed in packing.list (CMIIW).

What I found in my customer’s machine, I have problem to connect to that url (Very Slow). So I found that files in my .\PatchManager_3469\data\patch\novadigm\rpmagent\version3\win32 folder is not complete even I tried to do acquisition again on different day.

Then in my system explorer. I found the instance PATCHMGR.PACKAGE.PATCH_VERSION3_WIN32_1 have some file missing. (compared to other patch manager server).

I connect it into service and deploy it to my radia clients. Patch installation reported problems in Reporting Server.

Now I wonder if I can just copy the missing file from working machine to my customer’s machine. Does files listed in packing.list is different for each patch management server?

note
I failed to download .\Novadigm\PatchManager_3469\data\patch\novadigm\mc\PATCHMGR.XML either.This is causing my patch synchronization wasn’t successful.

Need your suggestion about this manual copy of patch agent files.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
16 REPLIES
Biju V George!
Honored Contributor

Re: Patch agent download not completed

Hi Eric,

First is you have to increse the timeout values in u'r patch.cfg, do remember timeout value should be suffieant enough to download the xml & exe files as well.

Discover Patch is a Zservice to which you cannot assign another Zservice or any other thing....

Copy will not work as the whole process includes download, autopackage etc...

If you have another RCS you can sync two Patch Mgr domains..

Biju

Eric P_2

I have another server that works properly but I don't think I can connect to that server.

How about if I export the patch manager domains from good RCS and then import it to another RCS? Will this works fine?

another thing, what does these:
- PATCHMGR.PACKAGE.WUA_MEDIA
- PATCHMGR.PACKAGE.PATCH_REXX_SCRIPTS
instances for?

I never relate them to any services. Can u give me any clue?

Thanks Biju,
Eric
Marko_
Esteemed Contributor

Hello Eric.
As you can see from my post, i had many problems, but basically this is what was wrong in my case and how was it resolved:

1. RPM had a bad proxy configuration, once i used a different one, i could download almost everything, except for some files which prodeuced a time-out error

2. i increased timeout value in my patch.cfg to 3600 sec

3. i modified a PATCHMGR.ZSERVICE._BASE_INSTANCE_ ZSTOP001 to be compatibile with new RPM 3.0. Before that a client couldn't process the DISCOVER_PATCH service, so no patch agent update, patch discovery or patch installation was possible.

HTH
Eric P_2

Hi Marko,

My problem isn't on the configuration. Yes I already raise my timeout to 7200 second and restart patch server.

I always get "20060505 18:22:48 Error syncing from web: error reading "sock616": connection reset by peer" message in the middle of "Updating Radia Patch Manager Feed" process (I see this in my acquisition history).

That's why my agent update files did not complete. Some files still missing. I wondering how to solve this.

Log files attached.

Thanks,
Eric
Biju V George!
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

Looking at the log I suggest You start using the bat files rather than Patch Mgr Interface for acquisition.Refer to RPM pdf for nvdkit command line syntax for acquisition. Also try to download MS05* & let us know the outcome of it.

You need not modify or attach anything to PATCHMGR.PACKAGE.WUA_MEDIA
- PATCHMGR.PACKAGE.PATCH_REXX_SCRIPTS

Basically this is where you define which rexx scripts to use for what & etc....

Client Method is only used by admins to change the behavior of delete, install, verify methods..

Biju
Roy O Gatewood_
Honored Contributor

Eric,
There is an acquire log that should provide some detailed information on what your issue may be.
Review/post it and we'll take a look.
Eric P_2

Biju,

I'm using patch admin page, not command line. Thanks for your explanation, I'll keep those domain as it is...

Roy,

I attached the patch-acquire log. I already reduce it to 2 latest acquisition log on May 22nd.

Need your advice.

Thanks,
Eric

Biju V George!
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

The acquisition log has an error

Error fetching package instance PRIMARY.PATCHMGR.PACKAGE.PATCH_VERSION3_WIN32_NEW FROM CD_0

Did you upgrade or it's a new installation..

Biju
Eric P_2

Hi Biju,

It's new installation.

The error u saw happened on 11th may 2006. I copied files in .\\Patch Agent Maintenance\win32\maint into D:\Novadigm\PatchManager_3469\data\patch\novadigm\rpmagent\version3\WIN32_NEW_FROM_CD

Why I copied those files into that folder??

Because I keep failing when acquiring Patch Agent update (u can see it from my patch-acquisition history), so files in D:\Novadigm\PatchManager_3469\data\patch\novadigm\rpmagent\version3\WIN32 folder isn't complete and service did not work fine (error reported when trying to install patch).

Because my client keep asking about this patch management and I still have no idea how to solve that download problem, I tried to copy those files located in .\\Patch Agent Maintenance\win32\maint into D:\Novadigm\PatchManager_3469\data\patch\novadigm\rpmagent\version3\WIN32_NEW_FROM_CD and relate this instance to service.

After that I can install patch, but i think this is not the good way/implementation of Radia Patch Manager. So, until today I keep trying to get the newest file for Patch Agent Update from http://managementsoftware.hp.com. I need to correct this problem.

I hope you can understand my explanation. I need your advice.

Thanks,
Eric

Biju V George!
Honored Contributor

Hi Eric,

I think customer is behind you to implement RPM,I feel the best is to re-install RPM.It will take much less time to re-install.

Follow these steps.

1.Drop Patch Mgr database
2.stop RIS service
3.remove RIS service.
4.delete the Patch RIS folder.
5.create a new Patch Manager Database,Install Patch Mgr server & select all the options.
6.check the port or modify it..
7.configure rpm.cfg do remember to increase the timeout
8. configure acquisition & download patchs

Hope this would be fine..

Biju
Roy O Gatewood_
Honored Contributor

Eric,
There's too many errors in this log to determine a single cause.
Is your RPM in a seperate RIS instance?
I would stop RPM, delete the logs and patch directory, start it back up and try to acquire again.
After the acquire do a sync and post the log.
Eric P_2

Hi All,

To be honest, I already confused too with this patch management logs. (already think about reinstallation)

I'll try to do what Roy said first, and if we still cannot find the problem I'll do what Biju said.

Will back to you guys on monday.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric P_2

One more thing about raising timeout,

Does raising HTTP_TIMEOUT to 7200000 enough?

or there are another timeout setting for patch acquisition?

Thanks,
Eric
Eric P_2

Dear Guys,

I stopped my RPM and then erase the logs folder.

Then I started my RPM, create acquistion for MS05-001 and run The Acquisition.

Here's the result...

Download for rpm agent still failed. but Microsoft patch downloaded completely.

Have any any idea how to complete RPM Agent files?

Thanks,
Eric
Roy O Gatewood_
Honored Contributor

This log indicates that you have gotten the RPM Agent.
What makes you think you don't have it?
Eric P_2

Hi Roy,

The easiest way to know that I have not complete RPM Agent by file count in d:\Novadigm\PatchManager_3469\data\patch\novadigm\rpmagent\version3\win32.
There should be about 25 files. and I only have 14 files. that why in Acquisition history said my 'Updating Radia Patch Manager feed' progress failed.

This is a matter of connection problem. do you have any suggestion another way to get the files?

Thanks,
Eric
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event